ProMedia 5.1: High-Pitched Whine

Jahava

Hello! This is my first time to the Klipsch forums. I saw a lot of great advice / answers in other posts, so I figure I'll give my issue a shot.

I have a Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 speaker system (which I adore). About a month and a half ago, my speakers started emitting a soft mid-frequency buzzing sound. When any sound is playing, it drowns the buzzing sound out, so I just ignored it. A few weeks later (about a month ago), my speaker system started emitting a high-pitched whistle / whine through the satellites. The whine is always present at speaker power-on, and initially subsided after a few minutes. However, over the course of the next few weeks, the it began taking longer to subside, until, at this point, it never goes away. It is also louder than the initial hum, to the point where it interferes with any sound that is currently playing.

Diagnosis-wise, I have ruled out a few things. Firstly, it has nothing to do with my computer. Plugged into two different computers (via Front/Rear/Center plugs), my phone (via the auxiliary in jack), and nothing at all, the same behavior seems to occur. I've also tried to rule out electrical interference: I've tested it on two independent circuits and the problem still exists. It does, however, only affect the speakers ... neither the subwoofer nor the headphones (in headphone mode) show any sign of the interference. It's only the satellites, and the interference is present on all five of them (seemingly) equally. There is definitely a buzzing noise coming from the circuitry board with the AC/DC converter on it, but I never listened to the board when it was working, so I'm not sure if this is normal. The buzzing seems to be coming from the red coily things (to the left of the AC/DC converter in this picture), but it's hard to pinpoint.

I've taken the system apart and I can find nothing obvious ... no blown capacitors or burnt fuses that I can see, at least. I've scanned these boards and tried gently pushing on the BASH chip; it may have affected the humming/whistle a little, but it may also be good ol' placebo.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated. I love my ProMedia speakers and thinking that they may be broken makes me truly sad.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have almost the exact same problem but my noise is like the same sound old televisions would make when there was snow on the screen. Its a constant "shhhhhh" sound. The sound isn't made through the headphones or to speakers plugged in through the headphone jack on the volume control module. Sometimes the noise will cut out completely as if there were no problem at all. When it first started the noise would only be there when you first turned the unit on then it would fade away and never come back on. Then it gradually started to happen all the time randomly cutting out with no good reason. If I leave it on for a long period of time it will settle on a somewhat quiet static like sound. The volume control does not affect the volume of the noise it's making. The volume of the noise is always the same regardless. What could be causing this and what can fix it?

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem...don't you hate trying to explain the sound and behavior of it? I have taken mine apart originally planning on changing out the two 100mPf 35 volt capacitors on the main board since this is a common cause of the 'hum' problem according to most. Although in taking mine apart I found I also have a bad component which is burned up and I have no idea of what it was. Its labeled U502 and my guess is it was a capacitor...Anyone know for sure? (Guessing C29 0.1 u)

I am thinking that may be a secondary problem though and was only related to one channel not working. I think the hissing/buzzing/crackling is still related to those two capacitors. The suggestion is use caps rated at 105C instead of the 85C that are in there...

• 3 months later...

I have just started having the same problem.A high pitched whine that is constant despite volume or other audio. I am sure it is a failing component that I can replace, but I don't have a good idea where to start, or what would cause the whine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-dave