Battlefield Bad Company 2

NMMechEst

• 2 months later...

Well, I've had this game for the better part of three months and have compared it to games of the past. So, I'll review it with audio in mind.

Explosions: Thunderous with a strong sense of reverberation, the most compared to any game of the past. Grenades aren't the stout thud like in real life. The pop of a grenade launcher is crisp, with a sense of a wall falling upon impact. Rocket launchers need a more violent wooshing sound like from Call of Duty 4.

Gunshots: The pistols sound exactly like they really should. The sniper rifles sound almost real, but they need a little more of that "sack of sand slamming the ground" sound. More of a sharp crack is needed. Brass hitting the wooden floors is a nice note, whenever the XBOX decides to include it. Assault rifles aren't as crisp as they should be when heard at a distance, but your own rifle does sound rather real.

Gun Action : The scraping sound of a parkerized magazine going into a Beretta M9 is very satisfying. The magazines hit the floor with a nice Click-Clackety-clock, while the spring rattles inside the magazine. The M24 sniper rifle sounds loose and hollow compared to the real rifle which doesn't really make very many sounds relevant to its bolt action. The shotguns sound like a recording of a long barrel 20ga fired at open range conditions, not like the 18" barreled 12ga boomsticks within a small house as the game tries to depict.

Vehicles: Good sound from tanks. Other vehicles such as ATV's, Hummer's, and helicopters don't sound like a proper simulation, but they shure come close. Not enough metallic ringing sounds.

Acoustic realism: Open range conditions are sterile and show the pure sound of the rifle being fired. Gunfire near buildings does have some reverb, but the wrong kind. It needs more alley tin can effect. Indoor firing sounds are good. Any more would be nitpicking.

material Realism: You can't shoot through walls with a high powered rifle. Many guns fire the same ammunition, but do the wrong amount of damage. A few small caliber guns are listed as equivalent as drastically larger caliber guns. A 50BMG is listed as having slightly less damage compared to a shotgun. This irritates many firearms enthusiasts including myself.

Odd notes: The houses are vacant with no furniture. Some of the buildings with larger rooms should come equipped with Khorns to keep campers entertaines.

Disappointments: You can't shoot through wooden walls with a high powered rifle. The explosions are all thunder. Real ones are a crisp pounding sound, like a thick calculus book slapping a desk, in chorus with a fist hitting a hollow wall. The latency is gonna make you grind your teeth.

• 6 months later...

I played this game quite a bit. It's a nice game but it got a couple things wrong. The idea of giant maps making for better sniping is great... the fact that you can't go prone is RIDICULOUS. The vehicles are sometimes fun but provide far too little armor. It's like someone strapped a target to your back when your in them. I will get Battlefield 3 as it looks to have fixed the prone issue. We'll see about the rest.

The tanks are also a huge tactical disadvantage. You can't hear enemy footsteps!

I really wish I could get a good team that uses effeceint tactics. Rambo action is failure in full.

This game really craves a good sound system. I need a sensitive DRC. Yes, it's blasphemy for sound quality, but footsteps compressed to 0 db would be tactically awesome. Those stupid Turtle Beach headsets have ruined FPS games, the inverse of TV speaker usage.

I played this game quite a bit.

It's a nice game but it got a couple things wrong. The idea of giant

maps making for better sniping is great... the fact that you can't go

prone is RIDICULOUS. The vehicles are sometimes fun but provide far too

little armor. It's like someone strapped a target to your back when your

in them. I will get Battlefield 3 as it looks to have fixed the prone

issue. We'll see about the rest.

I actually don't miss "prone" now, though I did when I first started

playing it after playing COD so much. The reason there is no prone in the game is because it made

snipers invisible, especially is the lush underbrush. With vehicles you

are better off having a partner or two in with you. The more eyes the

better ya know.

The tanks are also a huge tactical disadvantage. You can't hear enemy footsteps!

I really wish I could get a good team that uses effeceint tactics. Rambo action is failure in full.

This game really craves a good sound system. I need a sensitive DRC. Yes, it's blasphemy for sound quality, but footsteps compressed to 0 db would be tactically awesome. Those stupid Turtle Beach headsets have ruined FPS games, the inverse of TV speaker usage.

I play with a Razor headset and a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series. For guns and explosions it's the best sounding fps I've heard yet. And the BF3 is suppose to sound better. They've worked on making it easier to hear footsteps and what direction they are coming from, things like that.

They have also added Jets as another vehicle. Should be interesting. I'm not a big vehicle guy though. I play squad rush 99% of the time.

I got a pair of SB-2s from my grandpa a while ago and I've been using those for Battlefield and music. My dad is a Bose fan so that's all we've had, but I think these sound a lot better. I found some old 101s in the basement, so made those the center and rear channels. No sub. I'd love to get better stuff when I get out of the dorms (it's hard to fit anything bigger in there) but everything sounds okay for now. Mostly because I don't think I know what I'm missing. I'm just trying to make things as good as I can before Battlefield 3 comes out.

• 2 months later...