SUB-12 not working with Pioneer AVR

audiophilengineer

Hello, I have an issue with my klipsch sub-12 hooked up to a Pioneer VSX-21TXH receiver. I have connected the R ("Line in") on the SUB-12 to the Pre-out Subwoofer input on the receiver.

I am having an issue similar to:
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/92018/934235.aspx

I have set my mains to LARGE (LFE+Mains) and the rest of the surround speakers to small to send LFE to the sub-12. I have followed the steps and made sure that I can at least do a whitenoise test under the manual test menu in the Pioneer VSX-21TXH.

I have tried setting the crossover to 50, 80, 100 to see if it would make a difference, and it has not. I have also played with the gain + nobs on the back of the SUB-12 with no luck - the gain increases the "pounding" when I test it with an cd player hooked up with a y cable directly to the sub. But, if I go back to routing it through the Pioneer receiver, I get nothing.

I am trying to play a simple cd with a DVD player in DVD mode hooked up with a RCA cable. I have read that you can send a single subwoofer a stereo signal if you use a receiver's L+R front pre-outs, but the single subwoofer won't playback a stereo signal. I thought that a receiver does the digital switching even though I have an analog input?

Have you tried adjusting the output level of your subwoofer in your receiver's menu?

General settings for a subwoofer (on the sub itself) are - Phase to 0 - Gain control at 11 o'clock - Crossover set as high as possible. Adjust everything from your receiver's subwoofer settings menu.

Set the crossover levels to 80Hz for all your speakers including your subwoofer.

Also, what surround or soundfield mode are you using on your receiver?

Try a DVD and select a soundfield which should have a reasonable low frequency effects (LFE) track, something with 5.1 Dolby or DTS should do the trick. You may have to redo the speaker levels adjustments again for this sound source, so make sure the sub is set to something above 0.

Keep the sub volume knob on the actual sub set close to zero when trying these various settings, slowly increase volume on the sub when sound source is playing.

From your posts it sounds like you are using the LFE output from your Pioneer, but at one point did you mention connecting to an LFE input on your Pioneer?

Does your Pioneer have two LFE outputs, or one?

Hello, I have an issue with my klipsch sub-12 hooked up to a Pioneer VSX-21TXH receiver. I have connected the R ("Line in") on the SUB-12 to the Pre-out Subwoofer input on the receiver.

Ok, I just re-read this line and think I might have found the problem. You state that you have the receiver connected to the Subwoofer input on the receiver? If that is the case, might you want to use the subwoofer output?

Sorry for the confusion, it was hooked up correctly. I got it tested; its a bad subwoofer - theres a low "buzz" that comes out of it, but thats it. I have read that there have been fuse problems with the preamp section, but in this case it might have been overloaded or a loose connection somewhere.

This was driving me nuts; I thought I had all the output settings incorrect. Guess I got a lemon: returning for a swapout. Thanks for all the help!

• 1 month later...