Unofficial Rankings Invited

Danartdis

I am consistently amazed at the depth of knowledge in here so I thought I would pose this idea. What are your thoughts (everyone) on ranking the most talked about subs in here. I know room size makes a huge difference as does your personal mix of music and ht but with regard to spl vs depth etc, how do the big names rate against one another. Lets say I had $1500 to spend on a sub to go with my Heresys. Sun Sig, Velo HGS series, SVS, I know I am forgetting about 10 other brands but you get the picture. Thanks for any input.

Dan

Hmm good question,a sub around $1500 to go with the Klipsch Heresy.

Let me see,ah here

Sunfire Signature (this is the best compact sub on the market,take into account the output,bass extension and built quality and you simply have a winner.This small wonder beats the Velodynes.I am talking real sub bass,the one you can feel,below 30Hz power.It comes close to much larger much costlier HGS18!Its a sub good down to 16Hz and rock solid at 20Hz,from 25Hz up the output will floor most who doubt the power of the magic Bob Carver cube.And its clean too,dont belive the would be owners who post its distorted and boomy,its nonsense and trash talk.This sub is clean and has slam to flex walls.The micro sub extraordinaire,pit any other micro sub against it ANY and even most large subs.It holds its own against one SVS Ultra!)

one SVS Ultra with Samson 1000 power amp(the leader in output and true Pipe Organ power.Its a BIG sub,a oil barrel of DOOM.I tested the "older" Ultras with the previous driver and the quality and power of sub bass was that of a prodigy.Clean and abyss deep.Needs a powerful power amp to shine and when matched to even more powerful amps(I did a sick test with the FPB600!)it makes you wish the house has solid foundations.And with the new SVS SS driver this sub should define full size $1500 sub market for some time.Its THE last word in value,the last word in output down low(true sub bass power).)

There are many good subs out there,I could go on and on about many.The above two would be my choice if I was looking for a sub with power and good quality.

My other recomendations would cost more(HGS15-18,Revel B15 and Aerial SW12).But budget must be respected,so the SVS Ultra and Sunfire Sig stand as my premiere recomendations.

Thanks very much TheEAR. I just ordered the JBL that everyone is talking about and was second guessing myself the second that I submitted the order. I think I will start saving for the Sun Sig due to your input, input from others and size considerations. Thanks again.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Dude you need to care about air movement. Those Sunfire subs can hit low and fast but cant push air.

If you want air to move get a velo or If youdo want fast get a sunfire or SVS. I would not get anythings less then 15 to push air. I got my RSW-15 for $1200 and i wanted air. And my room is 12x12 when i move out i will have a nice sub for the future. Get a sub that will last a long time.

------------------

Bose Suck..Period