S4i, iPhone 4, feedback from mic

mufoxe

I just got an iPhone 4 and is very happy with.

I've got something weird with my S4i, which I didn't have with the 3GS. What's happening is that I can hear input from the mic in the headphones, e.g. my own voice, engine noise from the car, etc.. This wasn't the case on the 3GS.

• 1 year later...

Got the same symptom with a S4i and an iPhone 4s.

Anyone with an answer to why it behaves like this or have some sort of remedy. Or is this just what to expect from this setup.

I've got something weird with my S4i, which I didn't have with the 3GS. What's happening is that I can hear input from the mic in the headphones, e.g. my own voice, engine noise from the car, etc.. This wasn't the case on the 3GS.

I appreciate the annoyance this can cause. This behavior is the result of changes Apple implemented with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. And unfortunately, there is no setting or option available to disable that.

Got the same symptom with a S4i and an iPhone 4s.

Anyone with an answer to why it behaves like this or have some sort of remedy. Or is this just what to expect from this setup.

• 3 months later...

I appreciate the annoyance this can cause. This behavior is the result of changes Apple implemented with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. And unfortunately, there is no setting or option available to disable that.

Would you be so kind to elaborate on this? What changes? Why is the S4i affected and products of other manufacturers are not? Does Klipsch have a successor product (or any kind of adapters) that don't suffer from that?

The change I am referring to is that Apple has made the newest iPhone models pick up your voice from the mic on the headset (such as the S4i) and feed it back through the earphones on the headset. So the audio coming through the headphones is both your own voice and the caller on the other end. We have tested many products and the behavior across all that we have tested is the same. It may seem more noticeable using the S4i due to the better seal you get when it is in your ear. When the earphones are not sealed in your ear as well, it is less noticeable because you can hear more of your own voice.

There is nothing that Klipsch, as a manufacturer of Apple certified headsets, can do to correct this. In order to create a 3-button headset that works with an Apple device, we use components that we must purchase from Apple to enable that compatibility (all manufacturers from Klipsch to Bose to Skullcandy use the same components from Apple). Thus, all of the functionality is built into those components by Apple and Klipsch is not able to change it in any way. These are the identical components that would be used in all other Apple certified headsets.

Thanks for the thorough explanation. FYI, I wasn't trying to blame or bash Klipsch in any way. The S4i are great buds nonetheless.

However, I ask myself why on earth Apple would do something that, in my limited perspective, is outright stupid? What's the potential benefit of feeding the mic input to the headset output? At least this sounds as if it could be corrected with software - if Apple were willing to fix it.

However, I ask myself why on earth Apple would do something that, in my limited perspective, is outright stupid?

Wasn't it the iPhone 3 when first released did everything well, expcept work as a phone? It's a cell or mobile phone yet failed miserably as a basic cell phone when first released.