3D TV without the glasses

Jay481985

I heard about this today on the news and it reminded me why to NOT by the latest technology right away. I really had no plan to hurry into 3D, but I am looking into a new TV and projector. Looks like I need to wait a little longer.

That sounds cool and all, but I would not get your hopes up to high.

They are only making two sizes, a 12 inch and 20 inch and currently only in Japan. Also sounds like you have to sit fairly close to the display to get the proper 3D effect. Also, I can't imagine the viewing angle is going to be all that great on these things. Not only that, it is going to be pretty expensive. The 12-inch is to cost around $1,400 and the 20-inch to cost twice that. Sounds like it will be quite awhile before this is good enough for any displays larger than that, so if you are jonesing to get that 65-inch glasses-less 3D TV, you will be sorely disappointed.

I would love to get a 3D-set that didn't require glasses, but this is still very nascent technology. I don't anticipate this to be perfected enough for larger displays for quite a few years, not to mention at prices that "normal" people can afford. At the very least, would be nice if somebody can come-out with something that only requires the cheap/freebie glasses that I got from the theater (I got two pairs of the things laying around the house from seeing Avatar a couple of times).

When they keep making new technology with improvements, it does make me leary to jump in at any certain point. My old 65 in Mitsu does only 1080i with component inputs. I am still happy with it, my center sits up on it nicely. I know the newer ones get much better pics, but I like the 65+ plus inches. Would not want to go down to 50 or so.

Wonder if I should wait for 3D to become more standardized and cheaper.

Guess I will at least until the Ole Big One dies off...

Speakers are nice in that they are not making improvements every month on them. Can buy them knowing that for years and years and years they will remain great. Same with amps.

My preamp is a McIntosh that sounds just wonderful. But does not have HDMI, room correction, satelite navagation capabilities, ability to run 25 systems throughout the house, will not cook dinner, walk the dog, or any of that new stuff. But it sounds to great to me I don't want to consider changing it out.

Paul