RB-25s as mains or surrounds

jjennings2510

Hey guys. I have a quick question. I just got a great deal on a pair of cherry RB-25 bookshelf speakers on ebay (at least i thought it was a good deal.correct me if i'm wrong) They were $116 and they're in excellent shape. I couldn't pass up what I thought was a great deal. Considering these are very similar to the 61s. They should be getting here by week's end hopefully but now I don't know what to do with them. I thought about using them in the mancave system which would be finished once I got a new pair of surrounds or using them in the bedroom where I moved my old Sony bookshelf speakers as mains for a 5.1 system. Here's what each system comsists of:

Mancave has

2 RB 61 II speakers

1 RC 35 center

1 Klipsch Sub 10

1 Onkyo SR507 Receiver

Now I was planning on getting a pair of RS 52 speakers for my surrounds but I know a lot of people like using bookshelf speakers as their surrounds as well. Right now I have a cheap pair of surrounds that came with the HTiB that I upgraded. They don't sound bad but I definitely like the sound of the RS series better. But then again I haven't heard a "good" bookshelf speaker being used as a surround so I may end up liking the directional sound better but I'm not sure.

In the bedroom I have

2 Sony Bookshelf speakers

1 Polk Center

1 Klipsch Sub 10

For this room I was planning on putting the 507 in here once I upgraded the receiver in the cave. I also have another pair of Sony bookshelf speakers brand new in the box that i was planning on using as surrounds. What I can do is replace the Sony mains with the 25s and move the Sony speakers to surround duty but then I'll have 2 extra Sony speakers. I would try a 7.1 system but the Onkyo is only 5.1. (unless I get a small amp. It has preouts for 7.1) So I guess the question is what would you guys do? Use the 25s as surround speakers or put them in the room as mains with the polk center. Klipsch and Polk match up fairly well so I wouldn't be disappointed with them being used as mains but so does Sony and Polk. Now I know you guys will say just hook up the 25s as surrounds and let my ears make the decision but the problem with that is this. My current cheap surrounds are mounted on the wall. They are small and light so all it took was a small nail in the wall. The 25s don't have a keyhole and even if they did I would have to drill a hole and put an anchor in the wall. I don't have any room for speaker stands so I would have to mount a shelf for each speaker. I can do that but I really don't want to go through all of that trouble just to end up not liking the sound. Plus I'm trying to put as few holes as possible in the wall bc we are going to move eventually (once we find a house. We're ready to own instead of renting) and the shelf thing won't help my cause there. At least with the RS speakers I can just drill 1 hole for an anchor for each speaker instead of at least 3 or more holes for the shelf. Also do you guys think velcro will work? I know it sounds crazy but I actually thought about getting some industrial velcro and attaching it to the wall and the shelf mounting brackets. Do you think that will hold? That will prevent me from making unnecassary holes. But I don't want the speakers to come crashing down either.

So right now I'm leaning towards using them in the bedroom as mains. I know they'll make a great front stage and I'm sure I'll enjoy music etc on them. Plus I'll get to experience that "in your face" sound as well. Of course the cave won't be finished bc I'll still have to buy some surrounds. Why not use the Sony's as surrounds in the cave? Because I have the same dilemma as with the Klipsch. No keyhole so I would have to mount a shelf........now the advantage of using the 25s as surrounds is the fact that I can kill 2 birds with one stone. Finish my bedroom and mancave system at the same time. Just in time for the holidays. (minus the receiver which isn't something i need. its just a want since the 507 is doing an outstanding job) But with me liking the sound of the RS speakers I have a feeling imma always have that "what if" mentality. "What if I get the surrounds? Will it sound better? Is this the best sound that I'm getting?" And of course it may end up hurting me in the long run bc I may still end up upgrading the the RS speakers. And I'll have 2 extra Sony speakers to find a use for. So thats my dilemma. What would you guys do? As I said I'm leaning towards using them as mains......thanks for you opinions!