Pro Media 2.1 freaky Sub issues

rfoster143

My sub recently just stopped working then would occasionally clip back on, sound like its blown, then clips off. I took it apart, there is nothing wrong I can see, (cooked, loose or otherwise). Put it back together and it played fine for a bit then when I turned up the volume it started to sound blown (fluttering sound) then quit again. The speaker looks fine by the way. Out of frustration, I started to tap my heel on the top of the box and it started to work. When I took my foot off, it would stop. I can apply pressure to the top of the box and it sounds perfect until I either take my foot off (after a little while it will quit working), or if i turn it up, it will stop playing once it vibrates hard enough. I have gone through it again and see nothing loose. All it takes is a little pressue with my heel to make it work. I have wiggled and moved everything around but can't figure it out. The cord repair I see alot about in the postings here, any symptoms like mine every been fixed by changing out the plug end?

I recently worked with my old PC speaker system, re-wire everything back and i have same issue. except the speaker i mess with isn't my klipsch.

All i can say is check the wire, when they overlap each other. or even grounding circuit isn't perfect. touching metal parts also. have you try operating the promedia with the amp not screwed in place? i know they will sound bad but if it works fine when it's detached then clearly there's problem with the wire, just like my system.

• 2 weeks later...

This exact problem happened to me last night. I didn't take it apart I just hit the top of the subwoofer and it worked as if its blown off & on before dying completely. I think it is blown. I have never had any problem with these and hoped to get more than the 4 yrs I have had them. The satellites are working fine but and the fuse is good. Sound quality was excellent and the subwoofer was working fine it just went dead.I've put these things through a lot of hard use with plenty of loud hard rock daily for hours on end on top of the other desktop media duties.The only thing I noted in the past few months was the subwoofer seemed to be very hot even when not being used however I couldn't tell it was always like this from day one. Now that it isn't working its warm to the touch not nearly as hot as it was when it was working.

Oh well while I will hold on to these I guess I have to part with some hard saved cash for another set tomorrow, Certainly worth the cost for 4 yrs of Judas Priest and Slayer they went through.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same issue with my Promedia 2.1 Sub. Earlier when it happened just a tap on the top of the subwoofer seemed to fix the issue with the blown subwoofer issue. Later it is presistent and now it would continuously sounding blown or not sounding at all. When I place the sub with the speaker pointing upwards it used to sound better for sometime before falling back again.

I opened up the sub and checked the wiring and signs of any blown fuses or resistors. But I do not see any damage. So is this a blown sub or could it be the resistors/capacitors slowly failing?

Let me know if there is any solution to this issue, coz when it worked it was the best computer speaker i ever had and am sad to let it go.

• 6 months later...

I've been experiencing the same issue since the system was a month old. After reading thread after thread on the same problem it seems we are not alone. Is there any consensus on what the root cause is? Is there any word from the manufacturer on this?

• 3 months later...

For what its worth, I found a work around that fixed this problem. I figured if I isolated the amp out of the woofer enclosure then the lack of vibration might allow it to function. Ifi had mentioned trying this earlier but when I did, I still had the same problem. I had another Pro Media sub enclosure (yeah not a good sign, I bought this set to replace that one that quit working. ) so I pulled the amp out of that one and placed the amp from the one that clips out on me into it and ran a speaker wire over to its original box. I placed them about 2 inches apart and to my surprise, I am back to jammin *** again. These things sound so good that its worth the rigging job to get um running. Obviously there is something on my amp board that is grounding itself out or short circuiting with all the air the woofer is moving, and that baby moves alot of air. As I was working with the boxes I realized just how much pressure is pushed around inside. I can't visually see anything wrong with the board and I am not brave enough to go poking around the board when this thing is on. I now have 2 enclosures under my desk but you cant see them and they are not in the way. For those of you with similiar problems, this might be all you need to do to get your Pro's up and running again. You can make another small box to house your amp, just anything to get it out of all the vibration and pressure. Good luck. Been a month now and they sound as good as new and havent skipped a beat yet.

For what its worth, I found a work around that fixed this problem. I figured if I isolated the amp out of the woofer enclosure then the lack of vibration might allow it to function. I had another Pro Media sub enclosure (yeah not a good sign, I bought this set to replace that one that quit working. ) so I pulled the amp out and placed it my other non working enclosure and ran a speaker wire over to its original box. To my surprise, I am back to jammin *** again. These things sound so good that its worth the rigging job to get um running. Obviously there is something on my amp board that is grounding itself out or short circuiting with all the air the woofer is moving, and that baby moves alot of air. As I was working with the boxes I realized just how much pressure is pushed around inside. I can visually see what the problem is and not brave enough to go poking around the board when this thing is on. I now have 2 enclosures under my desk but you cant see them and they are not in the way. For those of you with similiar problems, this might be all you need to do to get your Pro's up and running again. You can make another small box to house your amp, just anything to get it out of all the vibration and pressure. Good luck.

The subwoofer pushing air is what the amp uses for cooling.

You might want to add a fan or something to cool the amp, or it will probably fail sooner rather than later.

I would go over the amp with a magnifying glass; (literally), something is probably loose or beginning to fail.

It may even be loose wires; hard to say without seeing it first hand.

FWIW; I currently am using my promedia 2.1 amp and sub with a set of Klipsch Reference RF52s.

They sound really good; and I will keep this setup until I can make room for the HK AVR 340 I have slated for them.

(This amp and sub have been to hell and back, being over 7 years old).

Yep, Slayer, Judas Priest and Anthrax now sound like Promedia 2.1s on steroids....... [H]

There is definately something wrong on the amp, I bet I could tap on the box with the amp and I could get it to stop working. But its working fine now so I am going to just keep it isolated and see how it goes. I removed the woofer out of the box and drilled some 2" holes in top of the box to allow circulation. I didnt know the woofer aided in cooling the amp but I have a couple sets of these speakers and have always noticed how hot they feel. Figured Id let it breather better since the enclosure didnt matter any way.