"Made in China"

oscarsear

1st my apologies to any here of the Chinese persuasion. This is not a cultural indictment. That is to say it is not a racist rant. Recently I've undertaken a re-do of the house of sorts. This has led to the purchase of several new items many requiring assemblage. Needless to say far too many of those are 'made in China' no doubt using child labor under sweat shop conditions, etc. Regardless major American brands are taking advantage of that situation and contracting the design, construction and packaging of their products from said country. My new Cabela's electric smoker was one such item. Shiny green lacquer, well packaged, missing nary a single nut or bolt and fairly good instructions. Of course 2 of those machine screws did not actually screw into the threaded holes meant for said screws. I been screw'n screws in for a long, long time and these did not fit. But being the resourceful person I is .... I fixed the problem and voila tomorrow I smoke. 2day, however, I hung a quilt upon the wall. It is an Amish made quilt with colors that uniquely match my 1968 Jimi Hendrix/Blue Cheer poster featuring a bright blue psychodelic design upon a bright yellow field. And I bought the drapery hanging hardware at Lowes and it was 'made in China'. The 'hang fest' began at 9 and ended just a short while ago. Hours it took and it required a large collection of my tools and engineering savvy (for what that's worth). The shorter brackets made by the same company did not fit only one side of the rod. And once the offended dimension was force fit into the proper placement the associated finial would no longer fit. Nothing channel locks won't correct and so I am done, finally. Why, oh why, oh WHY do these idiotic companies use Chinese companies and NOT triple check what they receive in the final version? There are toy companies selling toxic Chinese made toys and firms selling tainted Chinese made baby formula. Cripes, already. I will now have a martini, shaken, not stirred.

Simply put to maximize profit and be damned of the consumer.