MWM Question

In the first picture there are two extra holes cut into the sides with blank plates covering them. The holes are not large enough to accomodate the "factory logo" handles. The holes appear to have been done at the factory as the fiberglass is recessed to accept something. The third handle picture fits the cutouts and I am wondering if this was something that was offered from the factory. On my other MWM bins, all of the handles are the factory logo handles. I want to put these back in original condition. These are single bins. Does anyone have any ideas...?

Thanks in advance for your help

W. C.

Charlotte, NC

Congrats on the find, I know you've been searching for these for some time now.

Is the fibreglass really recessed? Looks like there is just a cork gasket material there to keep the handle/cup from buzzing. I can't believe that the factory would go to that much trouble when the glass was laid it was either in mat sheets or from a chop-gun so you'd do the whole panel in either case. That is not factory imho, never seen anything like it on a Klipsch pro. Never used flip out handles, never standard 1/4" jacks like that, not in my travels anyway.

I can see the use for handles in this orientation though. The original MWM (double 15") weighte 288 pounds and had 4 handles on each side, 2 in each orientation- so 4 guys could carry it upright or flat. Perhaps it was rewired so the darned dual bananas didn't snap off the back when they shoved it up against a wall?

Parts Express has a huge variety of cup plates, if this is a standard size you could probably get a blank one to fill those holes if you'd like. Cosmetically it would be difficult to plug and re-glass over it.

Michael

btw, quite a collection you've got going there [sniff] makes me proud [sniff]. [Y]

M

Klipsch would have used #8 round head black oxide screws, not drywall screws.

You could open up those holes a bit and install more factory-style handle cups, you can get them at PE also. I'd tape the bottom of my jig saw so as not to mar the surrounding glass.

Michael,

Thanks for replying................Yes the fibreglass is recessed where the "flip" handles were. I'm like you, someone went to a lot of trouble, they possibly used a router to recess it. I don't think it was done at the factory. I have never seen another set of singles like this with those types of handles. Klipsch used the Penn-Elcom H1024 handle, with their logo on the insert. I am pretty good with fiberglass, so I think I will go ahead and patch the holes. Also Bondo will do wonders for the inside around a tight plug.or I may go ahead and install the "right" haandles. Do your single bins have one handle per side? I have two sets of doubles and they have the multiple handles. BTW, I am looking for some cast jack plates, with the "Pie" logo.

Yea, I have been collecting for a couple of years now, I guess you can say I have the Bug for the big stuff.......[:D] I have a very long way to go to, even be considered in your and a few others league......I have owned Klipsch speakers since 71, have herd many other brands and still love they way they sound....!

Just got a deal on some KI362's and some KP 682's. We are continually expanding the Airfield so they will have a great home as we are building a museum this winter. I also love to restore beaters as I hate to see Klipsch speakers scrapped.

You may be interested in this, I am having the molds made for all of the corner pieces/trim so we can get some new ones cast for the Pro/Industrial Line. Hopefully will have the first batch before Christmas. I doubt that I will ever recoup the cost of the molds but I feel it is worthwhile so that you, I and a few others may be able to "SAVE" a few cabinets.

Thanks and hope to talk to you soon,

W. C.

• 2 weeks later...

MWM-S has two handles per cabinet oriented so that the cabinet is carried between two men in the 'mouth up' position.

Klipsch literature to dealers at the time "Frequency Response" I think was the line of white papers, calling this a "Roadie-friendly design"

Good luck with the collection. I'm looking for another couple KP682's for my system.

Michael

Michael.

Yes these cabinets have the two "faxtory handles and I guess someone decided to go to a lot of trouble to add the others.

I have three KP-682's ................. Do you know the caster size, as I need to purchase six. The cabinets are pre-drilled and has bolts for them. The plate is 2" x 3" bolt pattern and I am sure that they were fixed rather than swivel.

W. C.

mine are up in the nose of the trailer but it's gonna be nice today so I'll probably be in there digging around. Do your have the big 'hockey puck' footies under them? When mine are in upright position the wheels do not touch ground you have to rock them back a little first. I'll get you some pix and dimensions later today. Yes they are fixed, swivel would be a madman in that position LOL. I'll show you another trick I did with mine.

Michael

Michael,

Yes I have the huge "footies" on mine.....................The casters are a must, as the cabinets are heavy and akward to move, even with the handles. I'd like to know who the hell chose the handle placement on some of the Pro Stuff, the guy must have been seven feet tall and weighed 400 plus pounds.............I am debating on using these (KP-682's and KI-362's) or the MCMs in the new air museum......

My MWM's are drilled for casters on the Jack Plate end (the short side of the trapizoid). Looks like they would be very top heavy in that configuration. I also may be coming across a spare rackmount M-4, if you are interested.

Any tricks you can share would be greatly appreciated..! I am fortunate, as these cabinets do not have a scratch on them. I'm gonna fire these up this weekend, and compare them to the MCM's......

W. C.

Good luck with the collection. I'm looking for another couple KP682's for my system.

Going for the Professor Thump "That's all most too much bass" vibe of your Broadripple Park rig. Wish somebody would've documented that better even with a point and shoot. I think I had a small point and shoot with me and either didn't take it to the park or didn't bother to use it. A pic of each of the acts would've been nice. As no program there. Only the penciled in copy I thankfully remembered to retrieve from the trash can ... and post the list somewhere in that thread. Not to mention a few more pics of the main rig in the park. Aside from the flaky gremlins appeard that was one helluva a kick booty system.

(my best Tim the Toolman Tailor sound dude kind of grunt)

Do your have the big 'hockey puck' footies under them? When mine are in upright position the wheels do not touch ground you have to rock them back a little first.

And works very well. Designed by an engineer.

swivel would be a madman in that position

"designed" by a committee of politicians....