S4i: VERY 'limited' warranty?

mentsmin

My pair of S4i's have begun to fail after a little less than a year of light use. The sound on the right earphone cuts in and out, making them unusable.

I visited the Klipsch website today for warranty information, and was shocked to find this line in the warranty conditions: "This limited warranty does not cover consequential damage to other
components including earphone cable, adaptor jack, cleaning tool,
airplane adaptor, additional ear tips, large or small carrying case."

Emphasis mine. Am I reading this correctly? How in the world is this possible? The "earphone cable" is not some incidental item included with the main unit that is not necessary for the product to function correctly. A flaw in the cable would render the earphones completely useless. Does Klipsch not stand behind the durability or quality of the cables it uses?

Perhaps I'm not understanding what is meant by "consequential damage." As far as I can tell, the warranty doesn't cover "damage" at all; it only covers premature failure or manufacturing error. However, the first line of the warranty does read "Klipsch warrants to the original retail purchaser that the earphones
shall be free against defects in materials or workmanship in the
Product’s earphone external shell or in its earphone internal components," which also seems to exclude a flawed cable.

I have no idea what has caused my earphones to fail; however, I will not be happy if I'm denied a replacement or repair under the warranty because the flaw is in Klipsch's cable and not the earphone itself.

Does this not seem outrageous to anyone else?

Well, let's not just jump to conclusions...have you actually tried contacting Klipsch to see what they are willing to do for you. The way I read the warranty, it seems like they wouldn't cover it if the wire got cut in half by something you did. I understand your frustration with the wording of the warranty, but until you've contacted them, this just seems a bit much.

I actually read elsewhere that someone else was denied warranty coverage over a flaw in the wiring.

However, a representative from Klipsch replied to an email I sent them and stated that it would be covered under the warranty. I will set up the warranty service and post here what I find out, in case anyone else is curious. I'll be happy to admit it if I'm mistaken!

*edit*

And I'm sorry if this seems like "a bit much" to you, but I did phrase much of my post as a question. I don't claim to know whether it will be replaced or not.

• 1 month later...

Update: I finally received my replacement pair. It appears that flaws in the cable are covered, and my initial post was incorrect. Mods, you can delete this thread if you think leaving it would cause more confusion than good.

Why not just edit your original post? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Please stop spamming the message board with your all caps rants. We come here for technical support and friendship not vicious baseless attacks.

As far as Klipsch not repairing headphones that are out of warranty, why would they? Would you expect Goodyear to replace your 60,000 mile tires at 75,000 miles? No, because they are out of warranty. If you have an issue with headphones under warranty, purchased your headphones from an authorized dealer and are in America, I can personally attest to the stellar customer service Klipsch will provide you and any of their other customers.

Their customer service is legendary enough that people, like me, have purchased products made by Klipsch two dozen years ago without worry that they will fail and with full knowledge that when the inevitable end of life occurs, Klipsch engineers and its loyal following will be here, on this forum, to help us repair or replace our broken or worn out equipment.

Thanks for stopping by and for letting your feelings be read but let's keep it civil and please don't hijack or spam other threads.