Adcom GFA-555 Mk ll or Yamaha M80?

amadork9

Adcom 555ii: I am partial to these. The bass can be excellent, but these amps are going to be at least 20-30 years old. If you are willing to update & bypass a few caps, this would be my choice (for this particular model). I used to run my CWs on this one. Again, not all Adcom models are equal.

Carver: you need to be specific about which model (not all are equal). For instance, if it is the m1.0 t, these can sound quite good (the later version). Remember these are older amps and may need to be re-freshed.

Yamaha: I casually heard a M series on some Altec 19s. IIRC, the mids & highs sounded good.

These are all good choices to demo with. But keep in mind that amps (like cars) will age after 20-30 years and may need to be re-freshed.

I currently have set up Cornwall IIs with the Carver M1.0t amp. The sound is very good. I assume you have the amp you want or are at least looking at one; PM me if you are interested in a Carver m1.0t as I have another one or two I could sell. The other amps I set up with the Cornwalls to compare were HK, McIntosh 2205, and a Denon receiver.

Hello has the gfa-555 ll arlready factory updated and bypassed is it a mosfet design how about the gfa5500 theres a gfa5500 pristine for 395.00 i have a mcintosh mc7270 with walnut case in beautiful condition for sale because i want to get my contractors license and needthe money so i was loking for a less expensive amp to use for now and then buy another mac lter thanks ken

@ emmette Hello, I currently run mcintosh mc7270 and mcintosh mx130 2 chanal set up but have to sell mc7270 to get my contractors license and thought i would replace it later but for now use something another forum member carver m1 is one of the only carver he recomends how much for your m1? kenneyh

$300 for an original unit (has not be upgraded or recapped), in good shape, both cosmetically and functionally.

I also have a recapped and upgraded amp for $550. It is the Opt. 2 upgrade putting out 460 watts / ch at 8 ohms. These go for $650 at http://carvermk2.com/pricing/pricing.htm

Also have a recapped and upgraded M1.0t mk II for $500, they sell for $600 and put out 400 watts / ch @ 8 ohms.

I'm starting to feel like I'm hoarding these amps! They are good, the two recapped have a warranty. I just have too many amps, and had one done for my bro, who doesn't want it now. Each of them look nice and have been used to drive Klipsch Cornwalls or Heresy speakers. The M1.0t Opt 2 was used to drive a pair of Bose 901s for a month until I found the Cornwalls. They will sound very similar to the 7270 (please no flames) - I can't tell the difference between my 2205 and the Carver M1.0t amps - both are awesome. Let me know if you have interest. My wife would be very happy!