Image X10 Strain Reliefs Are Splitting :(

BLSamuel

I first noticed that the strain reliefs on my Image x10 had began splitting several months ago. [:'(] I suppose I should call these IMAGE as they are in the IMAGE packaging.

Having gotten them a couple of years ago in December from the Amercian Express Membership Rewards program I decided I'd better dig out any receipts and contact Klipsch while still under warrant if covered under warranty from American Express Membership Rewards. I have no real invoice just an email from American Express showing that I ordered them on December 10th 2008 so the 2 year warranty period ends tomorrow.

In my case I'm not sure the splitting has gotten any worse once I noticed it but thought if they would be replaced under warranty I should go that route just in case. Of course I've read horror stories here where people have received replacements with kinked cables but I would think that would be a very small number of replacements. So I used the live chat with someone named 'Derek' and was asked to email the information so now I guess I get to wait and see.

Other than the strain reliefs splitting, my IMAGE still work perfectly and the splitting strain reliefs haven't gotten noticably worse so maybe they won't?

Imagex10_2010-12-10a_small.jpg

Imagex10_2010-12-10b_small.jpg

I'm not sure I've seen any other images of the splitting strain reliefs but this is what mine look like and have for the past few months since I first noticed they were splitting.

Already have. I chatted with 'Derek' (the system said 'Derek' - is there a real Derek? ) and sent in email along with pictures attached here. Received an email back from Debra with information on how to return. [:D]

I would be disappointed to be without them for too long but used my Custom 2 for a few days a couple of weeks ago while a co-worker was trying the x10's. I do like the x10's better of course but the Custom 2 weren't at all disappointing.

I may try to ship them back tonight as I think the local Fedex place is open until 7 or 7:30.

Not luck really just good customer service which is available for all who buy Klipsch products from an authorized dealer or retailer in the US.

Outside of the US it gets more complicated as then warranty service appears to be provided by the distributors for other countries which if anything makes it more difficult to maintain control over who can get Klipsch products to sell legitimately. I'm sure there is not an easy solution to this dilemna.

I expect this to be a very smooth transaction though apparently that has not always been the case for everyone even after purchasing from an authorized US dealer or distribuotor.

Even in the US a lot of entities that are not authorized are selling Klipsch products as gray market goods. In many cases with serial numbers removed most likely as the product could then be traced back to the authorized dealer who sold it to the unauthorized dealer.

My IMAGE have arrived at their destination. Or at least been delivered to Texarkana AR signed for by AHOPKINS according ot the email. Whew, the tracking detail lists delivered to Hope AR and on truck for delivery earlier in the day from Texarkana AR.

So now waiting patiently on repaired / replacement IMAGE / Image x10s.

• 2 weeks later...

My replacement Image x10 were delivered while we were travelling. Everything looks good but I've not had a chance to listen to them.

Ironically, the replacement 'phones included all ear tips except the medium single flange which is what I left attached to the x10's when I sent them back. Nuts! Not to worry as I think I have another set of medium single flange gels, or at least hope that I do.... Silly me. I should've sent them back without any gels. Returned in original package but kept accessories (thankfully).

Shipped in a padded bag

Imagex10WarrantyShipPkg.jpg

Packaged in a plain white box....

Imagex10WarrantyBox.jpg

Wrapped up in a plenty of bubble wrap....

Imagex10WarrantyUnboxed.jpg

No medium single flange [:(] but another cleaning tool [:)] ....

Imagex10WarrantyUnpackaged.jpg

Everything looks to be in order.

I've been asked (by email) to respond if I notice a difference in sound. I doubt that I will but some claim break in improves... or was that for the Image S4?

All in all a good customer service experience.

Not luck really just good customer service which is available for all who buy Klipsch products from an authorized dealer or retailer in the US.

Outside of the US it gets more complicated as then warranty service appears to be provided by the distributors for other countries which if anything makes it more difficult to maintain control over who can get Klipsch products to sell legitimately. I'm sure there is not an easy solution to this dilemna.

I expect this to be a very smooth transaction though apparently that has not always been the case for everyone even after purchasing from an authorized US dealer or distribuotor.

Even in the US a lot of entities that are not authorized are selling Klipsch products as gray market goods. In many cases with serial numbers removed most likely as the product could then be traced back to the authorized dealer who sold it to the unauthorized dealer.

Well I'm very disappointed by the Klipsch customer service in Europe: I've got a X5 with split strain reliefs, and Klipsch is basically telling me to sort it out with the retailer where the X5 were bought, when the retailer is telling me that they won't take them for an exchange because they only offer a 1 year warranty (the phones were bought in July 2009 and the retailer is on Amazon Marketplace).

If this is a manufacturing problem, how can't Klipsch offer a worldwide exchange service ? I'm even willing to send them back overseas at my own expense, but this doesn't even seem possible !

The reliefs started to split approximately 10 months after the purchasing date and I've been very cautious with the earphones, systematically keeping them in their case. Now I'm stuck with phones falling apart a little more each day and it seems like there is nothing I can do about it...

I feel like European customers are second class customers for Klipsch, and this is rather disappointing. If a European customer happened to face the same problem and somehow managed to get his phones exchanged I would really appreciate his help.

Well I'm very disappointed by the Klipsch customer service in Europe: I've got a X5 with split strain reliefs, and Klipsch is basically telling me to sort it out with the retailer where the X5 were bought, when the retailer is telling me that they won't take them for an exchange because they only offer a 1 year warranty (the phones were bought in July 2009 and the retailer is on Amazon Marketplace).

If this is a manufacturing problem, how can't Klipsch offer a worldwide exchange service ? I'm even willing to send them back overseas at my own expense, but this doesn't even seem possible !

Sorry to hear that Aurelien. International business is fraught with all kinds of difficulties and obstacles I'm sure. I suspece distributor and retailer agreements get very complicated. In this case Klipsch probably has very complex agreements with the distributor for each company, then the distributor would have agreements with retailers / resellers.

And as it's an international transaction I'm sure there are major difficulties in shipping and receiving even warranty merchandise between countries?

I don't think I noticed that my Image X10 strain reliefs had split until I've had them and used them well over a year maybe within 6 months of the 2 year warranty expiring? In my case, the spllitting never got worse but seemed like replacement was the way to go. Don't know if I got a newer version with improved strain reliefs or pretty much what I had to begin with though mine were labeled IMAGE before they became the Image X10.

The Image X5 are my favorite in ear Klipsch 'phones so I hope yours keep working fine for years.

Some have suggested things they've tried in the Headphone's section so searching may find some ideas.

To see all posts, click on options and select to display all posts in section as it defaults to most recent 3 months and I swear gets reset occasionally. That said I think the search will find post you won't find by scrolling through the posts.

Maybe Professor Thump or others can offer suggestions to keep your X5 from getting any worse.

Good luck!

My replacement Image X10's sound as awesome as I remember the original set.

Less bass as not broken in? No idea would have to compare side by side which I cannot do.

Will probably put on Bela Fleck & The Flecktones Flight Of The Cosmic Hippo later today which has some crazy bass.

For now I'm happy as I was with my original IMAGE. [8][8][8][:D][8][8][8]

Maybe less likely as the X5 and X10 use armatures rather than micro drivers as used in the S series?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that Aurelien. International business is fraught with all kinds of difficulties and obstacles I'm sure. I suspece distributor and retailer agreements get very complicated. In this case Klipsch probably has very complex agreements with the distributor for each company, then the distributor would have agreements with retailers / resellers.

And as it's an international transaction I'm sure there are major difficulties in shipping and receiving even warranty merchandise between countries?

I don't think I noticed that my Image X10 strain reliefs had split until I've had them and used them well over a year maybe within 6 months of the 2 year warranty expiring? In my case, the spllitting never got worse but seemed like replacement was the way to go. Don't know if I got a newer version with improved strain reliefs or pretty much what I had to begin with though mine were labeled IMAGE before they became the Image X10.

The Image X5 are my favorite in ear Klipsch 'phones so I hope yours keep working fine for years.

Some have suggested things they've tried in the Headphone's section so searching may find some ideas.

To see all posts, click on options and select to display all posts in section as it defaults to most recent 3 months and I swear gets reset occasionally. That said I think the search will find post you won't find by scrolling through the posts.

Maybe Professor Thump or others can offer suggestions to keep your X5 from getting any worse.

Good luck!

Thank you for your advices, the X5 are also my absolute favorite ears :-) . Although I haven't found any miracle solution, if Professor Thump has any idea about it I'll take good advice!