is it snake oil?

BBZink

these have been out for almost 20 years. As long as your amp has a B+ voltage of less than 520 volts, you are good to go. it will cut your power quite a bit, and in the guitar world, some folks want to have their amps distortion break up with out the volume levels. So if you are running 60 , 100, 120 watt amps, and want it to behave pounded soooner, you put these in and drop yuor power to 20 watts. A lot of amps are over 520 volts, so you should check this, also, once you start pulling tubes, and running yellow jackets, since there's less load, you voltage will probally go up higher than what you thought it was. if your looking to distort your amp sooner, you could also start strapping large power resistors which will soak a lot of power. the resistor approach is a lot cheaper.

if your looking to distort your amp sooner, you could also start strapping large power resistors which will soak a lot of power. the resistor approach is a lot cheaper.

Absolutely, like a Variac which is a popular option for guitarists. Some guitar amps, like my Seymour Duncan have a built in variac (and mine is always set at 5 watts, so how big an amp do I really need!?) [;)]

these have been out for almost 20 years. As long as your amp has a B+ voltage of less than 520 volts, you are good to go. it will cut your power quite a bit, and in the guitar world, some folks want to have their amps distortion break up with out the volume levels. So if you are running 60 , 100, 120 watt amps, and want it to behave pounded soooner, you put these in and drop yuor power to 20 watts. A lot of amps are over 520 volts, so you should check this, also, once you start pulling tubes, and running yellow jackets, since there's less load, you voltage will probally go up higher than what you thought it was. if your looking to distort your amp sooner, you could also start strapping large power resistors which will soak a lot of power. the resistor approach is a lot cheaper.

So on my primaluna prologue, it should decrease my power alot, i find the prima to powerfull for the laScala? am i correct with this interpretation?

The next wonders? The article is from January 2001.

What will work and sound great in a guitar amplifier where compression and distortion are desired will probably not sound good in a stereo amplifier. The article says, " The distortion is smoother and more even and the output is both substantially reduced and more compressed than stock due to the Class-A nature of the Yellow Jackets." You probably won't like that distortion when listening to music.