My New Media /Theater Room

bobdog

I have lurked here for over a decade and never posted much as I had very little to add. I have owned klipsch speakers since 1985 when I received a pair of KG4s as a graduation gift. I now own 2 pairs of Forte IIs, a pair of 78 LaScallas, some RS3 surrounds, and a mint pair of 86 oiled oak Khorns. Last year I purchased a new home and am now remodeling a basement room into the space I have always wanted. The room was set up as a theater when I bought the place but had enough issues for my use that I decided to gut it and optimize it for the Khorns. The room will be a theater but rule number one is that 2channel performance can not be compromised. My plans as of now are to have a Belle or split LaScalla built for a center and use pro Klipsch stuff for the rears. I own a JBL B460 sub of which I will probably build another.

The space is 20'X34" The biggest issue was windows in the corners. Light was an issue as this room will have a widescope screen and projector, but the biggest issue was corners for the speakers. I have now filled in the windows at the speaker/screen side of the room leaving one at the other end for a fire exit. It will be blacked out completely though. The speaker wall will be built with studs on 8"centers and heavily braced. The first layer will be 3/4" plywood with green glue and 5/8" drywall. The side walls will use 8" centered studs, 5/8" plywood and GG+drywall for the first 10' then double 5/8" drywall with greenglue in the rest of the room. I would welcome and ideas, criticism , ect anyone has on this project.

I will post some pictures, and will do my best to keep the thread updated as I progress.Posted Image

• 2 months later...

Bumping this up again. Have made some progress and will get a few pics up. Finished drywall and greenglue between the joists. This took way more time than I thought it would. I don't know if it will be worth it or not. I hope so. I have framed in for the rack and put in PVC conduit for wiring. I have almost completed the HVAC work, sealing all ducts. I will be using acoustical flex duct from Casco for the vents in this room hopefully it will reduce noise somewhat.

The biggest news is that I have two Danley DTS10 subs on their way. The DIY kit deal is back on and I could not resist. To use them I am planning to build a new screen wall 2 feet out from the current one, place the DTS10s behind it or actually build them into the wall and have them fire out of grill covered holes in the wall.