Kornerhorn fuses

z28ster

I honestly don't know what the hello precisely what happened although I have a couple of thoughts:

1.)Fuses,(unlike circuit breakers),are either dead or alive. In other words fuses work on the principle that if too much current flows through the connecting link the link will melt and therefore once a fuse dies it is irretrievably dead,(Note to the smart a**ses yes I know about high current fuses with replaceable links ;~)> ).

2.)Circuit breakers are designed to trip,(ie break the circuit),whenever a given maximum current flow is exceeded. This will not be the case with your speakers however as the current flows invoved in an audio setup are not sufficiently large or frequent for a CB to be used in a speaker crosssver.

3.) The most likely explanation that I can see is that the amplifier you use has its own built in overload circuit that acts pretty much as a circuit breaker and temporarily cuts power to the speakers whenever the the demands upon the power amplifier section of the amplifier exceeds the designer's maximum limits.

The point of all of this is that if the speakers work with the old fuses then: the fuses are OK and the problem lies with either with the demands placed on the system by the user and/or his/her source material upon the amplifier or with the protection circuitry built into the amplifier - which although based on somewhat different technology - effectively behaves like a circuit breaker,(ie. once the overload condition resolves the power is allowed to resume)

It may be that you were simply driving the amplifier too hard and the protection circuit cut in to protect the amplifier,(and your speakers), or that the protection circuit has somehow deteriorated and kicked in at a power level that should not have been a problem.

Best Guess the protection circuit for the amp kicked in.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 04-10-2002 at 09:15 PM