ProMedia 2.1 Satellites Not Working

thexile

Happy holidays everyone!

My ProMedia 2.1 speakers which I bought some time back have ceased working. Only the subwoofer has sound but no sound is coming out of both satellites despite the green 'ON' LED is lit on and even when the volume is tuned to the max. The DIN connector to the woofer has lose it shine due to oxidation - could this be a problem? By the way, there is still sound if I plug in an earphone into the line-out jack, however this doesn't rule out the controller unit is faulty, right?

Thanks.

Welcome to The Forum.

If you have double checked your wiring; it is then a likely possibility the male DIN plug has gone bad. (Common).

If you wiggle it gently; does sound come and go? (fuzzy).

Have you double checked your 3.5mm jack at the PCs sound card? (Sometimes partially inserted will cause described symptom).

Din plug replacement is available on Ebay; or goto Radio Shack.

(I did the latter and had to carefully cut into connector to identify which wire to which pin on the bad plug).

Good Luck.

Thanks for the valuable reply.

I wriggled the DIN connector once; yes the sound did fuzzled, however subsequent wriggling cause no feedback (no fuzz).

The 3.5mm jack is inserted properly. I even hook the speakers to my working iPod with the 3.5mm jack.

To be specific there's still sound coming out from the satellites, just that is extremely extremely soft - you have to put your ears directly against it and that when even the volume is maxed. It could be from the woofer though, if my ears pick up wrongly.

Hmm, I do not reside in the States. Seems like DIY repair is the only way to go. Is there any specs for the DIN connector? Any tips to get a good one? Thank.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had replace the DIN connector with the replacement which I bought from mister_clean. However my satellites are still not working. Any more advice?

Eek..... That's not good.

First; (And no offense intended)..... Are you 100% sure the new DIN is wired properly? I would double check this......

You are sure your sound card is seated correctly in the PC? Sound card plug seated?

You double checked wiring from amp plate to sats?

Do you get any sound from them at all?

Do you have another receiver you could connect the sats to? (IF YOU DO THIS: DO NOT PLAY AT HIGH VOLUME!!!!! Play extremely low volume; just to ensure the sats are working themselves....) If your speakers are the kind with plugs in the back of them; the plug connections sometimes go bad........

If you have checked all f this; then I suspect your amp may have issues...... Do you have an electronics repair shop?

I've check all the wirings/connections etc. Everything is fine. The sats just don't have any sound at all.

I do not get this question 'Do you have another receiver you could connect the sats to?'. It will be great if you can explain. Thanks

Hmm, suppose if the amp has issues, can repair be done easily?

What he means is if you have a regular home receiver or other stereo with external speaker system then you can use the klipsch speaker wires and sats and hook them up to that system just to make sure it is not the speakers or wiring, I doub't that it the case however just because it is both speakers that it is happening to. I recommend (if your speakers are out of warranty) is to remove the rear sub plate (unpugged from wall outlet for atleast 10 minutes first) and the locate the fuses for the sats, each channel (left and right) has it's own fuse. if the fuses are blown I have them available as well. if not then I fear you have a more serious issue.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...