instead of av receiver, thinking of getting seperates? Seen emotiva brand any other suggestions?

twisted1272

ok, this is way out of my comfort zone with seperates, but with audio and video changing as quickly as it is it just makes sense to consider seperates. Have seen Emotiva brand but like i said this is way out of my comfort zone with so many different options. Was thinking of just getting the onkyo tx nr-5008 but if going to fork out around $2000 i would like some advice first. OR another option if i dont fork out all the cash now i could just get the onkyo tx nr-808. anyway any suggestions are very appreciated.

I went into separates gradually, first I picked up an Emotiva XPA-3 and used it to power my fronts and center while my receiver handled my 4 surrounds. Now just recently I picked up a mint used Onkyo PR-SC885 processor and a new Emotiva XPA-5. I am using the 2 amps with my 7.1 system since I have 8 channels I am using two to passively bi-amp my center.

I have to say I have been very happy with the upgrades the improvements were very nice and my system sounds astonishing for both HT and 2 channel music. I use to buy receivers new in the $1,600 range but the move to separates was a very nice step up and my move to separates was still under $2,000 since I bought the processor used.

twisted, what you are contimplating doing is something i did as well. I kept seeing emotiva all over the place on this forum and how people were very happy with their amps. Their amps are rock solid from my experience, time will truely tell how good they are and how long they last though. I have the xpa-5 and the UMC-1 and i am quite happy that i went to seperates, its marginally intricate over that of a normal receiver, all you have to do is buy signal cables that go from the processor to the amp, other than that, its like using a receiver. If i were in your shoes, i may want to wait and get the XMC-1 which supports 3d and has some more options that make it worth getting in the long run. Emotiva is also coming out with some new amps as well. I dunno when you are planning to make a move bu you can always wait to see what they have. Check out outlaw audio as well www.outlawaudio.com which is another online boutique audio company and makes very high quality components. They are more expensive but their specs are more....refined than emotivas. Both companies are hifi and at the point you get that refined, the cost jumps and you may get negligable improvements that can you can physically hear and discern. Check out parasound amplifiers as well or adcom amplfiers.

i too started slow. had an onlyo 805 paird with a lpa-1. amp powered front 3, receiver powered back 4. i wasn't too happy with the onkyo in some areas and decided i needed to make a decison. i decided on the umc because in the long run it just makes sence. we all know processors go out of date and with emotiva you get 40% off the next generation processor. so you buy one now and when it goes out of date, you get the new one with a deep discount. then you can turn around and sell the outdated one for a bit of money and end up saving a ton of money.

good luck with your decision.

Wow, I can't say say enough good things about my Onkyo processor. Today I have been listening to music all day, first time since fully calibrating my system. I had a custom 8 channel XLR interconnect made to connect the processor to my amps, Mogami 8 channel snake cable with Neutrik black/gold XLR connectors, this a is very nice high quality professional studio grade cable.

I have had my new processor and amp for almost a month but didn't spend much time fully calibrating my system because I was waiting for my custom XLR cable before I did, I just got the cable this week. All I can say is WOW! Music is so clear, rich and warmly detailed, absolutely beautiful! I am so very happy with this system.

HT is also greatly improved to a completely new level. Since adding the new cable and really calibrating the system I am in heaven.

The DAC's in the Onkyo are very very good and so is the video processing this thing is an absolute jewel, I would highly recommend you look into Onkyo Professional for a processor.

http://www.onkyopro.com