On The Search For a Fisher X-100, 30-A, 50-A, Scott 299-B. Need Support

woodchamber

Hello everyone

I have Cornwalls III and a friend of mine bought here in Germany a Fisher X-100 C. I'm really impressed by the sound compared to my much more

expensive E82CC tubes on the Welter WT-500 Monoblocks. I already had a short conversation with Craig who is well known here in the forum via email,

about some very expensive Fisher 30-A on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220683123495&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123#ht_10981wt_1141

My Plan would be when i find something in the USA via internet to send it straight to Craig for check-up and then over to me in Germany.

My question would be what kind of sources are good to search for except of ebay?

i read some threads about this amps here and it seems like the would fit well to the Cornwalls III. But is there a big difference between the X-100 vs.

30-A / 50-A ? The Scott 299-B must have also a nice dark coloring what i read what people say here in the forum.

So thank in advance..

FN

FN, that's insanely expensive for a pair of 30-As. Consider the Pilot SA-232 here in the Garage section (if it's still for sale), unless you're sold on monoblocks. That Pilot has an almost cult following.

A lot of nice Fisher amps are found in old consoles. Check eBay, Craigslist, Audiogon, and of course here.

The X-100 is an integrated amp, and the 30-A & 50-A are mono power amps. Look for a Fisher 510 ST integrated amp to go with a 30-A for stere. The 510 ST has the same power amp section. I'd guess either of the 6bq5 amps to sound quite similar. Others will say there's a big difference...The Fisher SA-16 amp is supposed to be very good. One of these days I'll have to fire up one of the two I have gathering dust in the shop...

Hi Fini

Thanks for you comment. Yes i just found some comments about the Pilot SA-232. This must be a very interesting amp. i already contact the person who is selling it.

Someone contact me in this forum via PM who is selling a pair Fisher 30-A for 600$, but i don't know how the condition is. i will find out soon.

To look for a Fisher 510 ST is also a good idea. I will keep this thread updated whats happening. Thank you very much for the advice so far. For me it is a new interesting

subject the world of vintage American Amps. I have the feeling not too many sound enthusiast here in germany are into this..

Glad to be of some help! Welcome to the forum!

For more info on Fishers (including consoles), check out Audio Karma's Fisher page.

Information on the vast number (and variety) of consoles Fisher produced in the 50s-60s can be found there. Only 5 or 6 years ago only a handful of folks knew much at all about them, now with the help of forum members, they've put together quite a database!

Woodchamber, Rex Everything(Paul) has sold and shipped a Dynaco MKIII amplifier to Germany previously with no problem, and would be able to do the same for you. His Pilot 210 preamp and 232 amp would be a very good purchase, as they have been restored by Paul and are superb examples of a fine tube stereo. Also, anything serviced by Craigs(NOSValves) will be in excellent operating condition.

If I hadn't just purchased a Lafayette system, I would be buying these from Paul this week. The Pilot setup is among the best EL84 stereo setups around.[:P]