Image S4's electrifying my ear.

Tmct

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a quick "me too". my S4's also give me little shocks.

update: not getting shocks anymore, despite being plugged into the same laptop (same port, etc). haven't had any for months now.

there must have been something wrong about the wiring of where i was plugging in before, or some other external cause, that was making the shocks happen. whatever it was it's gone now.

I fixed my issue. It is static and what I did was use the plastic clip that came with the phones and just attached it to myself. I'm pretty sure it's due to the ear bud not being grounded to your head thanks to the silicone surround that suspends the earbud in the middle of the ear causing the static to jump to the ear.

Thank the lord I didn't toss the clip!

• 1 month later...

With 15,556 posts you clearly work for the company DrWho. So rather coming here and dismissing people who clearly are getting electric shocks from your products, why not actually do something about it. And if you can't raise this with somebody in your company that can. Its a serious issue. These earphones cost a hell of a lot of money and they have a major defect that you and your company needs to address.

This was Amy's response in another thread that discusses the same issue:

"Actually, this is not a issue limited to Klipsch - it can happen with any brand. Do a quick search on "in-ear headphone shock" to find a lot of information and suggestions. Here is one article about an Apple warning I found with a quick search."

It is static. With these more so due to the lack of grounding thanks to the silicone surround that make the ear piece "hover" in the middle of the ear. This small gap is like a spark plug. makes it perfect place for a spark to jump to the ear. If it's against the skin then there is no jump

I am shocked constantly with these headphones. I cannot tell you how sad I am spending so much on a pair of headphones that are only "decent enough" in sound quality, but getting shocked is just annoying as can be. Constantly. When I am jogging, skiing, sitting on the couch....shocks

I have to say I have been a long time purchaser of Klipsch components. From bookshelf B3 speakers to ProMedia computer speakers. Might I add the amplifier on those ProMedia speakers were unreliable (I had been through 2 sets), and the volume knob also introduced static when used. These 2 experiences for me have really changed my opinion of Klipsch products and I can't honestly say I am inclined to purchase any of their products ever again if this headphone issue is not addressed by Klipsch.

My job as a consumer is to purchase and enjoy a product. Not to become a junior electrical engineer to study if the headphone is being properly grounded. I have traditionally enjoyed Sennheiser products, from $15 earbuds to $80 over the ear headphones. I've owned a few pairs of their headphones - really loved everything about them. If I didn't pay so much for these Klipsch headphones I would definitely toss them and switch back to Sennheisers, but still every time I put these on after being zapped for 5 minutes I start to rationalize spending $20 on a pair of quality Sennheiser ear buds.