Image S4's electrifying my ear.

Tmct

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to chime in. I have the same issue. Getting shocks on the "outside" of my ears from my S4i.

It's absolutely enough of a shock to be a nuisance and a serious concern.

I use mine primarily with an iPhone 4. Thing is, this started recently for me. These 'buds are somewhere around 6 months old and in good shape otherwise.

The shocks are only on the right side, where it also feels like the connection going into the actual earpiece has a little more "give" than the other side.

I'll probably exchange these locally on warranty - I just googled to see if anyone else had had the same issue.

I have the same issue with my (quite new) S4i's, with the left earbud more than the right earbud. It definitely happens more in dry environments. There have been times when I quite literally could not move without being shocked, and quite painfully. This happens with my laptop and my cell phone as sources. I never had an issue with this with my old Shure e4c's.

Thoughts? I feel like I'm going to need to keep a stash of anti-static wipes with me everywhere I go if that's the only solution to this. I really like these earbuds in terms of sound quality, but the static is a major head(ear?)ache.

I just joined here because I'm having the exact same problem with my s4's. every few seconds I'll get a shock through the right earbud, on the side of klipsch logo. very strange. it's interesting that this is one of the hottest topics on this forum. I'm going to call customer service tomorrow and see what's up with this.

For what it's worth, the physics of this "shock theory" is about as insane as suggesting that the earbuds make you fly. I don't mean that in a demeaning way, but rather to encourage you guys to look for different solutions.

You guys sure you're just not getting poked by something? There are plenty of times with earbuds that I'll feel a sharp stinging sensation, but it has nothing to do with electricity. I would look for small burs on the earbuds and also make sure the nozzle isn't sticking through the earbud...it should be recessed. Maybe you're using too small of a tip and the rear of the flange is poking you. I would also make sure you have the earbud rotated coreectly (there is a small alignment line).

There isn't any doubt in my mind that this is static electricity being transferred through the earbuds. One time I was sitting at my desk, and I reached for my fleece on the chair next to me and received an incredibly painful jolt through my left ear. The sound also cut out of the earbud at the same time, so I thought the driver blew out. I am now careful around the office to take off my earbuds when I move my chair or reach for anything that might have static buildup, but I still get shocked here a couple times a week.

Outside of my office, this also happens at the gym, which is a pretty dry environment this time of year. The tips I'm using fit just fine, and the flange is not directly touching the inside of my ear. I really wish this wasn't happening, as I love the sound from the earbuds. I'd rather not return them to get a comparable set from Shure or Etymotics, which would cost quite a bit more.

By the way, DrWho, I'm just down the road from you, in Chicago. You'd be more than welcome to check these out yourself if you'd like [:)]

By the way, DrWho, I'm just down the road from you, in Chicago. You'd be more than welcome to check these out yourself if you'd like

How far are you from Niles? This is crazy enough that my curiousity is peaked...especially if you're getting shocked with an iphone as the source.

I live in downtown Chicago and work in Evanston, so I'm not too far from Niles. My sources are a laptop and a Palm Pre. I have access to an iPhone but haven't actually tried it out as a source. The left earbud shocking is still happening, though it's been less frequent with the air being a bit less dry the past few days. The one pretty much surefire way of making it happen is touching my fleece - a shocking experience almost every time!

Theres no doubt that the shock or whatever you call it really do happend to more then a few people.. The question now is will the company fix this problem or we just have to accept the fact that our ears getting shock every once awhile.

I never expected this post to be one of the mostly comment post and the fact that this is getting into real life is pretty funny. I think you should go and get shock in the ears, come back tell us how it wad like lol.

• 1 month later...

Adding to the thread.

I just bought these and within 30 seconds I received my first shock, and it wasn't painless....

Now I totally understand the argument that the headphones aren't CAUSING the shock, but you can't tell me they're not contributing in some way!

I've now owned these for less than 40 minutes and received over 10 shocks...

I'm also having the exact same issue. And no, we aren't idiots. It is definitely a quick series of electrical pops, not severe, but enough to cause significant discomfort. It has primarily happened to me since I switched offices at work and when connected to my PC front jack; it does not generally happen when I'm listening to my iPhone outside of the office. So it seems to me it has something to do with environmental factors interacting with something in the design of the S4's. I've never felt anything like it before with any other earbud.

• 3 weeks later...