Image S4's electrifying my ear.

Tmct

I recently return other pair of S4 to best after having them for about 20 something days because the wire part was spitting open.

Now I got my new one. I got another problem. Every once awhile I'll hear this sound & feel that theres mini electric shock but I though it was normal thinking

maybe thats just how it is during burn in. Untill like last week when I took them off my ear, I felt this electric shock right on my hand as I was taking them off.

It gone away for a day or two untill today when I was biking outside. My ear constanly got electric shock from it every half an minute. I stop using them for an

hour or two and now it's gone away, but im pretty sure it'll come back after today or maybe just later.

Im wondering if I should do.. They are perfectly nomal bsides that problem and it's brand new. Had them for less then a month.

I do notice that the sound quity changes every once and then though. Some times It sound really good listening to a song but sometimes I cant even stand it listenig to it at the same volume and everything...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes im pretty sure it's the earphone.

I reamber having the same problem with my other Image S4 as well but it only happended a few times so I ignore it.

With this one it happends like every other day and I had the same thing while using ipod and computer.

One of the reason why im so sure is when I took it off my ear one time while holding it on my hand, it happended. Right on my hand so I felt it clearly

Perhaps static electricity? I got shocked once from my x10i's in my ear as I walked in the door and took my jacket off. It scared me because I had no idea what it was, but I askedone of my roommates and he said he gets it sometimes with his own in-ear headphones (not klipsch).

pretty sure its not static electricity cause just about 10hrs ago i experance it constantly happendening for about 15min mini shocks non stop.

I'll call klipsch when their phone line is open. Not quite sure what should I do for now. Cause it work perfectly now but only happends once awhile

I hadn't heaed of this but static electricity sounded like a good possibility but static would be brief. Strange. I wouldn't think the body part or ear gels would transmit electricity. Plastic and silicone. Very strange. Maybe you just attact electricity. I've not heard of anyone getting shocked by their in ear 'phones before. Not even static electricity shocks though that I can understand But constantly for 15 minutes doesn't sound like static.

Pretty obvious not gonna find helpful info here I suppose after a response like that.

Thanks for the time!

because it would be pretty obscene for this to happen at the levels normal earnphones produce. I would suggest that its NOT the ear phones, but your unit that is sending to much electricity... either that or your ears are somply tickling from the excellence of audio reproduction... :-P

Well I'm not real sure. I just know I had a set of creative earbuds that I plug into speakers and in 2 years it's never once shocked me. These new s4's seem to do it almost once a day. I do use em about 6-7hrs a day while I'm at work. I don't really hear an "electrify" sound lol.....i just feel a slight tingle like I'm being shocked. Primarily in the left ear. So who knows?

I am having the same exact issue - I contacted Klipsch and they suggested to "use anti-static wipes"... whatever that means?

Anti-static wipes - as in something to wipe down the headpones to remove static electricity (as well as help to keep the headphone clean in the first place). As dry as it gets during the wintertime, static electricity can be a real pisser to deal with.

21AWnsvxooL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is a known issue with any earbud. Made national news iPod Earbud Revelation Is Shocking.

Anti-static wipes can come in the form of Bounce sheets or electrical equipment wipes you see for monitors and such at Best Buy or Radio Shack.

Rapid repeating shocks would be more abnormal and most likely an issue with your source. Try them with another portable device and then with a grounded device (like a home theater receiver or headphone amplifier) to see if these sources, unique in how they receive and output power and the stationary vs mobile nature of their use. If you have the same shocking experience with all sources, have tried anti-static wipes (you probably have Bounce or other brand dryer sheets in your laundry room), then there could be an issue with the headphones. However, this is pretty unlikely, but not impossible!

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same issue. I use in-ear earphones for my PC and just got theS4i set and any time I move around in my chair they repeatedly pop and shock my ears inside. I plugged my $15 Skullcandy set back in and the issue goes away. I've never had this issue with the Skullcandy set. I did have the shock issue with an old generic set I use to use but never with my Skullcandy set.

I'm not wearing any wool or anything. I am on a hardwood floor. I use a humidifier. What do I do? [:'(]

Update: I just plugged the S4i set into my Zune and both problems were
not present. No shocks. And I didn't have any connection issue where the
input didn't make contact and I had to finagle it.

When I plug them into the front jack on my PC I get the shocks and the
connection problems. When I use a 3.5mm headphone extension cable I have
the same connection issue when plugging into that. Thing is, using my
Skullcandy set I have no issues like this. When I use my Audio Technica
AD700s I have no issue. I did have this same issue with an old generic
set I use to use. So, why this problem with some sets but not others? I
love the S4i sound and want to keep them but this sucks. [:@]

When you guys say "shock" do you mean you are actually getting a sharp tingly feeling like what happens when getting electrocuted? The thing is, headphones don't make electricity and the only source of power is the device you're connected to. 9V would be a ton of voltage to come out of a headphone port, but that's not going to be enough to feel anything. Stick your finger across a 9V battery and note the complete lack of sensation.

The way static electricity works, the only way to feel anything would be a one time event when two different potentials equalize. If you're always in contact with the headphones, then you will always be at the same potential and therefor won't feel anything. I suppose I could see static affecting you while walking around and touching other objects, but then that should happen without the earphones too.

Are you guys sure you're not just feeling a tingly discomfort from having the earbuds installed wrong or positioned poorly in your ear? I often get a tingly sensation when using earbuds, but I know it's not because of electricity.

As far as tbe static crunchy sounds, that's more than likely a bad jack on the source equipment. All plugs have slightly different diameters, so it's probably a jack that is on the verge of dying.