WF-35/34 or RF-82 II, need help with decision, new to audio

AlexPkring

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to dive into as much information as possible to make the best purchase on speakers. My Dad has been a long time loyal customer of Klipsch, I've enjoyed what he's had, so I'm really trying to find the best speaker and deal for my needs. I'm going to use them primarily for movies/tv, im sure ill play some music but a minimal amount.

My budget is about $1200 for a pair of floor standing speakers, I have a large room, 20x30 with 10 ft ceilings, hardwood floors. I like the look of the WF series, but I just dont know enough if im paying more for the look compaired to the RF series. Any help would be great. Also, I recieved a Pioneer 1120k as a gift. Would this be sufficient or would I need something greater to power these. I noticed its a 120w per channel av reciever, and the speakers are between 125 and 150w. Thanks for the help!

alexpkring@gmail.com

Welcome to the forums!

You've got a big room to fill with sound. I would strongly suggest buying pre-owned as far as value/cost ratio.

If you like the Reference series you can easily find a pair of first generation RF-7s for $1200 or less. Also the newer RF-63 is easily available in that range or less.

Lots of people on here enjoy their Heritage series which includes speakers such as Cornwall, LaScala, Forte I and II, Chorus I and II, Quartet and Heresy, all of which can be found for $1200 or substantially less. They are all 3-way designs with a horn tweeter and midrange. The LaScala has a horn-loaded woofer and the others I mentioned have a standard woofer.

I've found incredible deals on speakers through craigslist and eBay. You have to be patient sometimes but its worth the wait.

If you could get see your way to get a pair of Heresys, you would have something you could keep for a lifetime. Real wood veneer, 3 way, repairable. It's a little more than your budget, perhaps a used pair but it's a buy once kinda thing, you'll not get tired of them. The RF-82s are nice speakers but I think the Heresy offers a lot more quality for your dollar. They are really a bargain for what you get.

• 1 month later...

HI Alex,

I'm far from an audiofile but iv listened to both the wf 35s and the rf 82 iis and there is no comparison in sound. The RFs offered a much larger sound stage and deeper, richer bass. The WFs on the other hand are very nice to look at and have a much smaller footprint than the RFs but your room seems quite large so i wouldnt even consider the WF 35. As far as your receiver goes, it is plenty powerful as Klipsch speakers are extremely efficient. IMO i would go for the 82 iis or if you could pick up a used pair of RF-63s they would fill the room nicely.

Dan

Hey Alex, I just purchased RF-82 II's ( and an RC-62) and could not be happier.Like you I am new to the forum and klipsch community/family, and Like you I researched a ton and auditioned many speaker brands and after quite some time I chose the RF-82. They are amazing, the Veener is simply an asthetic extra,as quite honestly when I auditioned the RF-82 II there was a pair of Black ash RF-7's right next to them and the difference in looks was not very apparent from a short distance.

In short: GET THEM!