Cornwall crossover B or B-2

rockhound

Hi - I'm thinking about replacing my stock crossovers to some Crites. I emailed Bob and he serif I could run B-2's in my 80 cornwalls. He also said he had not heard a side by side comparison between the B and B-2. Has anyone do this? Can you recommend which crossover I should get?

My opinion. One one hand, from a schematic perspective, the differences between a B and a B-2 is very, very small. But on the other hand, a type B to type B replacement might sound different just due to having different caps and the process of removing and reinstalling which would blow off surface rust. If you play mainly back ground music either the type B or type B-2 would be fine. If you tend to rock the neighborhood and play super loud, check into the type B-3.

Bob didn't mention in the email that the B-3 would work in my 80 models?

My opinion. One one hand, from a schematic perspective, the differences between a B and a B-2 is very, very small. But on the other hand, a type B to type B replacement might sound different just due to having different caps and the process of removing and reinstalling which would blow off surface rust. If you play mainly back ground music either the type B or type B-2 would be fine. If you tend to rock the neighborhood and play super loud, check into the type B-3.

Straight from the man...just FYI for anyone else looking.

Jerry,

No, the B-3 network is for the later model Cornwall using the K-52H midrange driver. I have never seen anything from Klipsch indicating that the B-3 could be used with earlier configuration Cornwalls. When the B-2 crossover came out, Klipsch did suggest using it in earlier Cornwalls that had used the type B crossovers.