Poly carbon graphite repairs anybody?

moray james

Ironsave: thanks for that, do you recall the brand of epoxy you used? There are a number of "for plastic" types of epoxy on the market now but you need to be specific when bonding plastic. The right instant glue could also work but you need to know what the substrate materials are made of. So a little hands on experience is my best bet from a member here. Thanks for your help. Best regards Moray James.

I apologize;

I do not have the brand.... (This was a year ago and it was almost empty when I did that repair).

It was (as mentioned) "for bonding plastic".

I was able to do the repair from the backside and was not really noticable......

I am not sure what the long term effects would be.... (Voice coil rubbing do to added weight/ not balaced; etc).

Sorry I am not more help to your brand specific question........

Ironsave: thanks for your experience. I was thinking of starting with something like good old JB Weld but plastic and glue are a hard combination to come by at the best of times. There are some auto body plastic epoxy glues. I would lke to salvage the woofer with the cracked cone but it could be a stretch to do so. Anybody else out there have any repair success with cracked plastic cones? (that's why I like paper, everything sticks to paper) Best regards Moray James.

• 8 months later...

figured I should update this thread for any who were perhaps interested. I bought the smallest bottle of Loctite Black Max adhesive at $50.00 ouch. Lined up the cracked edges of the cone and applied a thin line of adhesive with a tooth pic to the back side of the cone first then the front. Left that several hours and appilied another coat on each side of the com. The drivers works pefectly sounds the same as its mate and it has been running every day for about four months now. I would say that the repair is 100% good as new. Hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.