onkyo 805 no bass for rf-63?

shaunm

Hi all, I just got an Onkyo 805 from craigslist for $300. When i listen to music or movies there are now bass at all going to my fronts LR even if i set it to full range. This thing is 130watts and my 80watts other onkyo receiver that i use before gave me so much bass. Movies/music the sub does the low freq. sound. When i first heard it i thought this thing was broken because the sound compared to my smaller onkyo was so different and this is suppose to be a better receiver. Then after watching a few movies i realized that the sound was cleaner and clear. And when i turn up the volume the sound gets very loud but not like my smaller onkyo that i would want to turn it down because it was like in your face "look at me" loud. Also the most difference is on the bass. With the smaller onkyo when i watch movies even if there are no bass on the movie it like shakes the room with big bass. But with this one you dont hear it until there really is bass like a tree falling or explosion and is very tight, night and day difference. The smaller onkyo bass was like those bass in a car subwoofer. That's why i always wonder why in the movie theatre it doesnt shake like the 1 i have at home and when there are bass scenes its like natural. Now i have that with this onkyo 805 i guess that's the diff between the cheap receiver and the expensive's ones or higher end ones. But my only problem is that it doesnt sound good for music, no bass at all except for sub preout. I know now why some people want different or a stereo receiver for music and one for dedicated movie only. Is what im saying right? is this what the higher end receiver suppose to sound like comapred to an entry level one. or there is a setting or something wrong with my 805?

i hope i can get some answers, thanks all~

Shaunm,

There must be something defective on the TX-SR805 or some setting is wrong. The Onkyo TX-SR805 is a very potent HT receiver with an oversized power supply and transformer. It was way overbuilt for its price point. I see you bought it used on c-list. Maybe that is why seller was selling it. Just a thought.

Bill

hi all thanks for the replies! Hi will, glad to see your still around on this forum, i haven't been on here in a while but i still remember you. Yes it is underprice.

No all the speakers are still on the same locations as before and i reseted the amp to factory settings and ran audyssey for all. I emailed the guy i bought it from and he was the one who suggested to reset it to factory settings. When i had it everything was -10 on bass and treble was -6. He set it to that because he said he got too much bass from his speakers. But on mine no bass at all except for the sub out which has nice tight bass. but if i want to run 2 channel music i get nothing. Maybe i should turn up the volume to 0 or +5 but there should be some bass to in -10. its as if its set to "small" and all the bass is sent to the sub. Hmm.. i'll try to turn off the "sub" on the settings maybe that will do.

look at the manual, its probably online if you dont have apaper version. Sometimes it takes a bit to figure out what in the hell is wrong. I don't trust the calibration softwares, i like things simple. Something doesnt sound right to me, a setting has to be wrong somewhere. worst case is that there is something wrong with the receiver, hopefully thats not the case. play some music while messing with the settings, the same song over and over so you can hear the differences in your changes. Song may get annoying after a while but it will help you to see the differences the settings make, check the crossover settings on the amp too if its got it