Yamaha RX-V567 enough to power this setup?

mjgptdawg

Hey all,

I posted a while back about a full Klipsch Reference series that I purchased. It was the RC-3 II Center Channel, RF-3 II Floor Speakers, and the RS-3 II Surrounds to go with a KSW-12 Subwoofer. I also got an old Yamaha receiver thrown in with it, the RX-V2200.

Anyway, I have to sell the RS-3 II Surrounds because they are too big to please my wife in our basement. I replaced them per your recommendation with the RSX-5. Not near like the RS-3 II, but it is what it is.

Anyway, I can get the Yamaha RX-V567 for $125 if I give someone the RS-3 II Surrounds.

Should I put more money towards a more powerful receiver, or will this receiver be a really good to power this setup and a good enough upgrade over the old RX-V2200 I have now?

The power it says it has would be enough but we know that 90x7 isnt going to happen. You can most likely see 50-60watts x 5, optimistically that is. It will power your speakersfor sure though.You wouldnt know what was missing power wise unless you heard it start clipping at high volumes or heard those speakers on a power amp and separate processor. The rs-3's can get you around 200-300 on craigslist as well so youd be paying around $325 for a $500 yamaha receiver, not an uber steller deal IMO. I'd keep what ya got now powering them and upgrade to a different brand.

I personally am not a huge fan of yamaha, not even sony really when it comes to receivers. Both brands do the job but you can get a denon or onkyo for the same prices and their equipment is more refined IMO. Even marantz receivers can sometimes be found in that range as well. Receivers are always overrated. Expect to lose abou 1/3 of the power they say they put out with all channels driven. 1/3 is i'd say an average power loss, some are really sad and jump from over 100 watts a channel to around 30 with 7 channels driven.

This same basic idea was discussed on this thread for the Yamaha 667:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/144203.aspx

Like I posted there about the Yamaha 663 receiver I had:

I read a review of my receiver on ultimateAVmag.com and they had this to say about my 95wpc X 7:

This graph shows that the RX-V663’s left channel, from Multi input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads continuously at 1 kHz, reached 0.1% distortion at 166.7 watts and 1% distortion at 190.7 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reached 0.1% distortion at 218.0 watts and 1% distortion at 245.9 watts.

With five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads, the amp reached 0.1% distortion at 60.0 watts and 1% distortion at 74.9 watts. With seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads, it reached 0.1% distortion at 47.3 watts and 1% distortion at 57.8 watts.

Yamaha's stated distortion of 0.09% was reached at 46.9 watts with seven channels driving 8-ohm loads. This is roughly half of the 95Wpc specified by the manufacturer, which could be why the AVR seemed to run out of gas at higher listening levels.

I guess my point is the ratings on receivers are not to be trusted, at least with Yamaha. Unlike SuBXeRo I do like Yamaha receiver and think they sound great with Klipsch. Onkyo was another brand I was considering when I bought my 663 but they were having issues with the model that competed with the 663 so I skipped them and went Yamaha.