system for a tightwad?

tightwad

Do you have recommendations for the following system? Is it even cohesive or correctly engineered?

Klipsch RC-3II center

4 Klipsch SCW-2 wall

Klipsch KSW-12 subwoofer

Technics SA-DX1050 Amplifier Receiver

Toshiba SD-1700 or Samsung DVDM201 DVD

How do I find out how to wire? What wire/cable do I use?cwm23.gifcwm9.gif

Welcome,

So are you wiring up the whole rig or parts of it?

So a couple of questions.

Does your Technics have a Sub out/LFE out on the back panel if not and you in walls are in place this might throw a small wrench into the operation

Does the Technics support the output of the Samsung?

either Optical or Coax for 5.1 audio bliss?

Speaker wire for in wall applications needs/should be UL approved

Sharing from another post UL approved the wire jacket is not supposed to burn in an unlike event of (insert disaster here).

How about for your viewing pleasure does it offer one,two or all choices avalible on the back panel of your Samsung?

other ought to chime in which are far more knowledgeable and you'll gather lots of great insight,information,education and read the occasional "Tastes Great/Less Filling War" over certian preferences as well some fine color commentary thrown into the mix!

------------------

"FULLY LOADED"

J

This message has been edited by JTS8 on 04-13-2002 at 07:35 PM

Not only am I tight but not real smart either, especially with terminology. These qustions are helpful...Thank you!

What is a Sub out?LFE? The Technics has a Subwoofer signal output and Independed level control.

The Samsung has Dolby Digital/DTS optical audio output and the Technics has 2 optical and 1 coaxial input. Ok?

Here we go...What do most people choose optical or coaxial? What is this 5.1, 7.1 etc. stuff? In the young single days I tried to take home 5.1 girls at 2:00 AM but I think that's completely different.

The Samsung DVD offers 1 set of composite, component, and S video outputs. Including component video output terminals y Pb, pr. Are these the choices that give me viewing pleasure?

cwm40.gif

Please ask more questions.

Okay just to let ya know I don't speak in Ohm,Hertz or THD so don'w worry.

Your Sub out on the Technics is the LFE out it's the same thing just more fancy wording Low Frequency Effect I believe what it stands for.

So you'll need a sub cable with a Y-adapter which should be supplied with the cable or can be picked up at your local Radio Shack.

This sends most or all of the Bass "LFE" to the Sub the sub has a adjustable crossover which you'll get to fool with but that's later.

Optical or Coax well your hands are tied here since your Samsung offers Optical only so you'll need to check the back of the panel of your Technics and see if one of the Optical inputs is labled for DVD if not you'll need to swap out your Samsung

For the debate over Optical vs Coax it's a matter of preference the theory of apples to oranges apply here.

Your Samsung offers all the outputs for your veiwing pleasure but still need to know what your going to be watching this on and then we'll tackle that issue.

Okay for the 5.1 and beyond including ES and EX

5 equals Five discrete channels of sound all full range

.1 equals the LFE

6.1 EX and ES

EX for Dolby Didgital adds a center channel for the rear set up for better panning/fill rear surround information

ES for DTS same as above

7.1 that's a Yamaha thing offering front surrounds which is a mono signal split between to two ands more fill to the listening enviorment it kinda reminds me of SDDS which is Sony's didgital surround for your local muliplex

Pro Logic 2 It's rather new to me but my understanding is 5 channel stereo so I figure nothing says Wango Tango better turned up to 11 on the amp with Pro Logic 2

Edit: note to self do not post until finished with post

------------------

"FULLY LOADED"

J

This message has been edited by JTS8 on 04-14-2002 at 12:28 PM

The RCW-3 two-way, in-wall loudspeakers are actually the Klipsch recommended matches for your RF-3II center. The SCW-2 in-walls were designed to be used with the Synergy Series. For the best timbre match (all speakers having same drivers), you're ensured to have even tones, then the RCW's are the ticket. However, you may prefer the sound of Synergy in-walls, that's fine too.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Only if we can crank up the Stranglehold, too.

Good points...

Where do I go to listen to the difference between SCW-2 and RCW-3? I think you're right I need to match the series for the in wall loud speakers and center channel. I can't decide to move up or down.

I'm also debating between 5.1 or 7.1. Will a significant number of recordings move to the 7.1?

I will prewire the room as it's constructed. Do I lose sound quality by prewiring to a terminal plate and then when we're ready to move in, cable from the plate to the receiver?

T,

Unless you plan to downgrade the RC-3II Center too. I would bite the financial bullet & go with RCW in-walls. As far as 7.1 goes, you should probably consider nothing less than 6.1. Though 7.1 would give you a leg up if/when media catches up, but consider price and features vs. the same for 6.1 units.

You may want to post your questions regarding sound of each model as well as in-wall wiring, cabeling and terminals a bit further down in the Architectural area of the forum.

Sure it will all come together nicely.

Regards,

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Thank you for the help. I think I will go with the RCW in walls. I'm also leaning towards a 6.1 system. Despite my name I may upgrade to a $500 receiver. That kinda hurts. I'm trying to go to stereo stores and see if I hear a difference. Of course non have these Klipsch speakers.cwm9.gif