CD Player Suggestions

SuBXeRo

I love that the ERC-1 doesn't have the cheap looking/feeling plastic tray that slides out. It has a solid quality feel about it and the UMC-1, ERC-1 and XPA-5 all lined up in my rack with black trim look awesome!!! Not a reason to buy a piece of equipment I know, but it does look good!

It's a valid reason. Who doesn't like good looking, solid feeling equipment over cheap throwaway stuff?

Pointless waste of money or not I'm pretty happy owning the ERC-1 so I'll stick with it for now.

Fair enough; I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if you're after the best possible sound, your money is probably better saved for a pair of Klipschorns than fooling around with the differences between a very very good dac and what may be a very very very good dac. At least in my opinion.

Going back to this statement though:

I'd seriously doubt it. If they could have significantly improved the UMC-1 for the cost of a DAC chip, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't have done so.

Just keep in mind, we're talking about a 7 dollar chip here.

http://www.analog.com/en/digital-to-analog-converters/audio-da-converters/ad1955/products/product.html

I love that the ERC-1 doesn't have the cheap looking/feeling plastic tray that slides out. It has a solid quality feel about it and the UMC-1, ERC-1 and XPA-5 all lined up in my rack with black trim look awesome!!! Not a reason to buy a piece of equipment I know, but it does look good!

It's a valid reason. Who doesn't like good looking, solid feeling equipment over cheap throwaway stuff?

Pointless waste of money or not I'm pretty happy owning the ERC-1 so I'll stick with it for now.

Fair enough; I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if you're after the best possible sound, your money is probably better saved for a pair of Klipschorns than fooling around with the differences between a very very good dac and what may be a very very very good dac. At least in my opinion.

Going back to this statement though:

I'd seriously doubt it. If they could have significantly improved the UMC-1 for the cost of a DAC chip, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't have done so.

Just keep in mind, we're talking about a 7 dollar chip here.

http://www.analog.com/en/digital-to-analog-converters/audio-da-converters/ad1955/products/product.html

I agree with everything you're saying, I'm probably still justifying my purchase to myself as I've been responding!