Eico 667 Tube Tester

CIGARBUM

Does anyone out there have one of these testers? I recently obtained one that has been completely refurbished and calibrated. The instruction manual has been provided but is way over my head.

Can anyone walk me through the procedure of testing tubes on this machine. I am mainly interested in testing KT-88/6550 tubes.

Thanks

Cigarbum

Does your manual list the KT-88? You need to set the Tester's settings differently for different Tubes. I have an Eico I use all the time but it is at the Shop and I don't remember the Model. If it is the same I'll Post a quick guide. You usually cannot damage a tube with a tester so feel free to experiment. Just don't use a valuable vintage Tube for experimenting. I have some old generic tubes I use for warming up the Tester. Realize that even good Testers like the Eicos are better at telling you a Tube is Blown than how good it is. I've had Tubes test marginal but sound great and last for years.

I have the devil's tester Eico model 666 (same as 667 except for one extra tube socket on the 666). Not hard to use. Zero the meter. Set the switches to the tube you are testing per the roll chart. Hit the load button and read the value for Transconductance. Piece of cake. That will let you know if the tube works.....maybe. Listening is still the best test if values are good.

I have the devil's tester Eico model 666 (same as 667 except for one extra tube socket on the 666). Not hard to use. Zero the meter. Set the switches to the tube you are testing per the roll chart. Hit the load button and read the value for Transconductance. Piece of cake. That will let you know if the tube works.....maybe. Listening is still the best test if values are good.

Eico 666, the Tube Tester of the Beast.

BMW 666i, the Beamer of the Beast.

#6 West 66th street, the Manhatten Address of the Beast.

666 degrees fahernheit, the Temperature to which one should cook Roast Beast.

There's dozens of them [8-|]