My first klipsch speakers. sub ?

derik

I just got my first pair of Klipsch speakers today. I got them used with a HK avr 20 II, 400 disk sony cd player, and a 10" paradigm subwoofer. All for $950! I hooked it all up and it sounds good, except the sub doesn't work. The back gets hot, so i assume there is power, but no sound. Any suggestions? I have a Y adapter going out of the sub preout, with one rca cable going to the low level input on the sub. Any suggesions? Thanks.

derik,

What speakers did you get? Not familar with the paradigm subwoofer. But sounds like you're getting power, but no signal output. Are you using speaker cable to main speaker terminals or LFE out to sub. Check Subwoofer setting in the Setup menu and make sure it is set properly based on your sub connection(s) If LFE only, ensure the media being played has LFE and sufficient low bass content. Make sure you've got sufficient ventilation around sub to prevent overheating and protection circuit from engaging due to overheating. A bit more info on your sub connections and menu setup will help.

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 04-14-2002 at 10:05 AM

My speakers are rf3's. The reciever isn't digital (I'm going to upgrade when i get the money). The back of the sub has one low level rca input. The back of my reciever has a left and right sub output. I put the Y adapter in the sub output, and a single rca cable into the low level input on the back of the sub. It has plenty of ventalation and my mains are putting out quite a bit of bass, but i put my ear right up to the subwoofer and hear nothing. Thanks for the help.

Derik

derik,

If you have speakers terminals on the sub, try using speaker wire to hook them in parallel to your L/R main speaker terminals on the receiver. This method will pose no additional load on your receivers amp, as the sub has its own internal amp for power. If your mains are getting a signal, the sub should too. If it doesn't, you may need to have it checked by a qualified service tech.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 04-14-2002 at 08:01 PM

your sub should also have speaker-level outputs.

you run speaker wire to your sub from the speaker outs of your receiver, then you run some more wire from the sub speaker outs to your speakers.

I'm thinking there is some way to setup your receiver so that it outputs a signal from the rca sub outs, which it doesn't seem like it's doing right now. try reading your manual.

anyways, if the sub works when you run speaker wire through it, then it's definitely something due to either the sub outs on the receiver not outputting anything, or the sub in of the subwoofer are defective, although I can't see how.

without going through the pain of running a lot of wire like I explained above, just unplug a speaker, plug the speaker wire in the sub, and if it's outputting a signal, then you should really look hard at some function that lets you tell the receiver you have a sub and it should output a signal through its sub outs.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Seb's method will work also, but may involve High Pass/ Bass Filtering, depending on flexibility of sub settings.

But to wire in parallel with your mains or front speaker terminals, you would connect two speaker wires to the same Left and Right Terminals on the receiver that you have your front speakers connected to. This way the signals are sent to the front speakers as well as to the left and right terminals on the sub. So if the fronts are getting a signal the sub should also. I have two subs; an SVS is connected via my sub out, a KSW-12 is connected to the front speaker terminals of my receiver.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 04-15-2002 at 08:56 AM

sorry derik i assumed the receiver was an a/v digital 1. hopefully your sub does have speaker level outputs. i hope ot's not like the klipsch ksw-10 which doesn't.

sounds like a possible compatiabliity problem if the older hk stereo puts out stereo low bass sub output but you're running into 1 line input. sorry also assumed you had 2 (L&R) inputs on the sub.

so hopefully it can be done speaker level otherwise i'd say it's time for a new & a/v receiver w/ bass mgmt.

does your hk have any bass mgmt such as a mono mix to sub out setting? or maybe it does just do that automatically. sorry, just got into multichannel a few years back & went right from 2 channel to full 5.1. cwm4.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Thanks for all the help, but bad news. It's a problem with the sub. I took it to Harvey's (my local klipsch dealer) and had them look at it. I'm not going to worry about it right now after i just spent the money on the rest of the system. I may have it looked at later, or get a ksw12. But my rf3s bass satisfy me for right now. Thanks for the help.