3rd RT12d or?

shake777

Just got news that third RT12d probably is not going to be available do to discontinuation. The price of 1k should have been a giveaway.

So I'm stuck. I could get rid of one I have now and replace with DD18 and one RT 12d or keep the two RT12ds I have now but I'd like more depth than I'm getting. Its only a 17x24 room but I really like bass.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Nic

Driven by test signals in my large home-theater room, the SuperNova produced audible bass as low as 15Hz. More remarkably, there was no apparent 30Hz doubling. No other subwoofer I've used, including the earlier SuperNova MKII, could even begin to produce 15Hz tones cleanly. Of course, one doesn't hear 15Hz as much as feel it. My room sure felt it—hanging pictures and doors rattled and shook. The Earthquake MKIV-15 did 15Hz with panache and style. Only the passive woofer's extreme excursion hinted at how hard it had to work to put out this subterranean tone. From my listening seat, it just felt like magic.

At more common frequencies, between 20 and 40Hz, the SuperNova was as clean as a freshly washed white tablecloth, and as accurate as a newly graduated aerospace engineer. Whatever the material—full-scale orchestral recordings, small-ensemble jazz, blockbuster movie soundtracks—the MKIV performed with aplomb. To take full advantage of the sub's apparent speed and control, I changed my system's crossover point from 50Hz to 60Hz. Even though my Dunlavy SC-VIs have two 15-inch drivers apiece, the overall low-bass response in my room improved when more of the low-bass duties were shifted onto the SuperNova's shoulders. Bass transients became a bit cleaner and better defined, while the midbass lost some excess bloom and congestion.

A Final Swing around Jupiter's Rings
While few people want to experience a natural seismic event up close and personal, having the Earthquake SuperNova MKIV-15 subwoofer in my home theater was an exciting but safe way to make the earth move. Even in my large room, a single SuperNova was able to put out enough low-bass energy for the most bombastic scenes of mayhem and cosmic destruction. More austere films, too, benefited from the MKIV's nimbleness and finesse. Even music's harmonic foundation gained solidity and presence.

If you've priced the most expensive state-of-the-art subs, you could almost buy two MKIVs and still come out ahead. But you shouldn't need more than one. There might be better subwoofers on the planet, but I haven't heard them. I heartily recommend the Earthquake SuperNova MKIV-15 for any system requiring the ultimate sonic boon.