HT "Build"

IHOPsOPEN

• Moderators

BTW I looked at the calculators from projectorcentral but was confused...

Choose your projector model

Once the calculator loads, select the aspect ratio of your screen... 16:9, 2.35:1 (which is the really wide cinescope screen).

Select the size of your screen using the diagonal image (the height and width will adjust automatically when you adjust the diagonal)

If you take a look at the screenshot below, if you went with a 120" screen, they recommend that the throw distance (distance from screen to front of your projector) is just over 14'. That size image is recommended for rooms with low ambient light...a room that you can make very dark. If you are going with a smaller screen, you can have more ambient light.

Hope that helps

post-27215-13819637414078_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Oops, forgot to change it from floor mount to ceiling mount. It will tell you the recommended distance above the top of your screen to mount the projector.

I had to mount my projector a few feet above my screen due to the rear riser and not wanting to knock my head against it when standing up. Because of that, I had to angle my projector downwards because the lens shift would not bring the image down far enough to fit onto the screen. Ideally, you want to mount your projector pretty close to the top edge of your screen and have the height of your screen where your eyes are close to the bottom third of the screen.

• Moderators

FWIW, I installed my screen first since I had a custom cabinet being installed. To me, the screen should be installed first since that should be at a certain position compared to your eyes at sitting position. Many projectors have lens shift to allow you to position the projector even off center (if needed) and still be able to fill the screen.

Putting the projector on a ladder is a great idea or even holding it to make sure your projector will fill your screen at a certain throw distance and height.

• Moderators

I haven't done this yet but you might want to consider a UPS for the projector. I opted to install my outlet in the attic rather than in the ceiling. Keeps the wires cleaner. I probably should buy a UPS for it in case of brown outs or power outage. But how often does that really happen? Just something to think about.