What's Wood Putty For Birch

paul32579

I suppose to ask "Which wood putty works best for birch plywood?" must be terribly redundant on this board.

Then again...in this case, I have a 'rescue' pair of '76 La Scalas dollyed off a mobile home porch. After more than a few applications of needle-injected glue, they ain't half-bad. A few spots need putty (not filler, as in filling grain.)

I was going to ask WoodWeb, but figured I'd ask the beautiful people here first.

Edit: Pls pardon the dopey title. These babies are accompanying the Khorns, and make for a, un, festive living room...

Yep, I'd use Bondo if I'd paint or re-veneer, but these LSs shaped up nice. I'm going to shoot them with Spies Hecker automotive clear.

I have a fragmented upper corner and a few odds and ends along the side. Wanted to know what's the best in the business. Here we have a specific application.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed the stuff you used is water-based. Behind a more old-fashioned solvents kind of guy, I traipsed to the local Ace Hardware and got a solvent-based can of Maple and one of Birch.

What's interesting is that the Maple Famowood is kind of lighter than the old 1976 birch. The Birch Famowood has some purple to it, which is a bit darker than the 1976 plywood. What I found interesting was this: the factory used 2 types of filler. I noticed some of the purple-ish Birch color at the bottom, and a Maple at the 45 degree angle in the bass bins at the front where the brads were shot.

I'm considering mixing the two Famowood colors in various degrees as I go over them. But I ordered what you suggested today, because I found out that the water-based stuff has wood particles in it that are ground finer than the solvent-based stuff. Plus, I want to see what you saw.

Why so picky?

How in the world can you veneer the inside of a La Scala bass bin????