How to place Heresies

ChadHahn

I have a set of Heresy I speakers that are up on 1' speaker stands that tilt back a little bit. When I sit on my couch the tweeters are about at ear level. I just started wondering however if it would be better if the speakers were on the ground and the front raised.

They are against the wall but not in corners. The sound is good from the speakers although sometimes I notice a lack of bass I attribute that to the speakers and not the placement.

I know that I could start moving the speakers around and figure out things on my own, but I'm lazy and typing is so much easier than furntiture moving :)

Thanks,

Chad

Hey Chad, I don't have Heresy's, so I can't help much with placement.

But, if your version 1's have the original crossovers, that may be the reason for lack of bass. I updated the crossovers on my 1979 La Scalas and WOW, the bass came to life and now sounds amazing.

I recommend updating them, if they haven't been. [Y]

Dennie

I recently purchased some Heresy III's. At first I had them on the slant riser bases that came with them. I thought they sounded slightly muddy in the midbass and the mids and highs were not as good as I felt they could be. I got some 16" stands that raised them so that the tweeters were perfectly at my ear level. That made the midbass much cleaner, and the imaging, mids, and highs were also improved dramatically. I couldn't be happier now. I DO run them with a sub crossing them over at 80Hz though. If you don't run a sub you will definitely lose some bass response with them on stands... Also, like Dennie said you may want to update the crossovers.

I use the standard slant riser bases with the speaker about a foot from the front wall and a good amount of toe-in. I never tried them on stands but I would trust rick88 has an honest evaluation. I use the slant risers more for WAF than any other consideration, however it's a long way from a bad set-up.