KLF-10 Speaker Question

Greg_M

I have a pair of KLF-10s that I bought new. The lower 10" is buzzing on one. I have a couple of questions

Do both 10s get the same feed from the crossover or are they different? I'm trying to figure out if the top and bottom 10 should be sounding the same. The top 10 does not buzz. I might add this buzz is only under very heavy bass passages.

Can I still get a new one from Klipsch since this is such and old model speaker?

What can I expect to pay if "yes"

I really like the sound of these and don't even want to think about new speakers.

Thanks for looking

Greg

Greg,

Welcome to The Forum.

According the the specs; the 10s are both crossed at the same frequency:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 32Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB

POWER HANDLING 150 watts maximum continuous (600 watts peak)

SENSITIVITY 98dB @ 1watt/1meter NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms

HIGH FREQ CROSSOVER 2,300 Hz

TWEETER K-100-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer diaphragm compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN 90(o)x60(o) Tractrix® Horn

WOOFER Two K-1056-K 10" (25.4cm) Poly Carbon Graphite cones

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass reflex via rear-mounted port

DIMENSIONS 38.75" (98.43cm) x 12" (30.48cm) x 16" (40.64cm) WEIGHT 65 lbs. (29.51kg)

FINISHES Light Oak, Medium Oak, Mahogany, Black Satin

BUILT FROM 1997 BUILT UNTIL 2001

My guess is the one driver has voice coil issues.

Not sure if Klipsch has them still.....

Call 1-800-Kli_psch and find out.

If not; keep looking on Ebay for a K-1056-K woofer.....

(Parts express or Simply Speakers might be able to repair for you; worst case scenario).

Good Luck.

Pull the offending driver and check it out for anything loose that should not be, spider, suspension and dust cap for any lifting at the glued seam. Check the wires that feed the driver to make sure they are nor vibrating on the basket. If everything looks good then flip the driver (you should flip all four) 180 degrees and see if the buzz goes away. The suspension can sag over a long time and if this one was never too well aligned from the start a little sag could cause the buzz. Worth trying to see if it saves the day. Keep your eyes open on ebay the drivers sometines come up. If you had someone who can check the driver for T/S data you can see what is available on the markst to drop in as a replacement but if you go that route change all four to match. Check with Klipsch they might have one in stock it's free to ask. Good luck best regards Moray James.

Are these speakers good candidates for reconing?

I have had good luck with an outfit in Seattle called "Around The Sound" for other speakers. Just got a couple JBLs reconed there as D140s

I'll pull that driver out and check it out.

Thanks again

can't answer about recone job not heard of anyone who advertises genuine parts but sure they could be reconed but to what? Suppose you could get close but kind of messes with your resale value. Take a good look and see if the tinsel leads are perhapps wacking the cone under hard drive you might be able to see if there are any marks on the cone or spider. If so a small blob of silicon at each end of the lead might help keep the lead from slapping.

got my son an Eminence Comonwealth 12 which is a knock off of the D140 about 26 pounds of loud. fortunately he only has a Pete Traynor guitat mate with a pair of 6BQ5's maybe 15 watts so no paint peeling in the house. I hope flipping the driver helps but I won't hold my breath. good luck looking at the driver. Best regards Moray James.

If I had it reconed it would be to the exact same specs if that's possible.

It would be nice to have one extra driver just so I can have it reconed and then just do a quick swap and have that one reconed etc.

I'd never be without my stereo that way

Funny story (sort of)

I was getting some rattles in a different set of speakers I had and went to lay the one over to work on it and heard something. Turned out we had a mouse and it had been stealing dry dog food and storing it in the speaker.

Put out a trap

Emptied the dog food.

Stuck the bag of dog food in a hopper

Easy fix

Maybe I will get luck this time too [:D]

AH-HA !

I removed the speaker and found that the dome/dust cover is loose on about half of it's circumference where it attaches to the cone.

This should be an easy fix.

What kind of glue to use ????

Maybe silicon with a toothpick applicator?

I can lift the edge of the dome with my fingernail

If you want to use silicon take the dust cap off and clean off the old adhesive. Prep the surfaces with 220 sand paper. Test the silicon on the inside of the dust cap with just a small blob let it cure a few days and see if you can pull it off. You could also contact Loctite and ask for a recommendation as they supply to a lot of major speaker makeres. Good news and good luck, Best regards Moray James.

The Fix.....

I talked with my speaker reconing guy and he said......

Go down to Joanne's Fabrics and pick up a little bottle of Original Tacky Glue.

Lift up the edge of the dust cover and try to sand both surfaces (the cone and the dust cover). Put the glue on and let it set 24 hrs. It drys clear and rubbery.

I wound up working the dust cover completely off and cleaning the bottom side (where it glues to the cone) with Laquer thinner and a Q-Tip. Applied the Tacky Glue and put it back where it goes and let it set 24hrs. It seems that I did it right and the speaker does not buzz anymore.

I bought the 4oz squeeze bottle, but I could have bought the smaller tube and had plenty.

Cheap fix.

The speaker reconer said if I didn't feel up to it to bring it by and he would fix it while I waited for $8. The only problem is it's a ferry ride there and back which would have cost another $25.