Bi amp?

Halder35

I recently picked up a Parasound 1205A 5 channel amp for my system and was concidering using this to bi- amp my KLF-30's and also to run my center(KLF-C7). My receiver @ 120WPC should be a close enough match, power wise, to allow me to run the surrounds. I use the system for about 70% music and was wondering if this would yield a dramatic improvement? Any comments on this configuration?

TIA

Mike

------------------

Sony STR-DA777ES

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-10 surrounds

2 x Velo SPL1200 subs

2 x SVS 20-39CS+ Samson 1000

Behringer DSP1124P

Sony SCD-CE775 SACD

Sony DVP-NC600 DVD

Sony SLV-R1000 VCR

Sony 32" TV

HTS-2500 power center

I'll bet you won't hear much difference at all. Bi-amping first started when amps were small and speakers were generally inefficient (the 70's). It gave you more power/channel. It was then discovered that a good electronic crossover could improve the sound quality by removing the reactive elements in the passive crossover.

Crossover parts are a lot better, now. And, your KLF-30s are so efficient that you will be hurting at 10 watts out of the 140 the Parasound produces. You will never tax the power amps in your receiver, so I doubt the Parasound will do you any good at all. If the receiver's power amps are so poor you hear a big difference with the Parasound, then your preamp section is also suspect. The better use of the Parasound is to hook it to a HT Pre/Pro.

John

John,

You are right about the amp not being MUCH better than the reciever, but the sound was a little cleaner and the bass in analog direct mode is a little bit better. I would like to move to a pre/pro some day, but the Sony has a wounderful pre amp section, from what I have heard. The other plus is the gain adjustment on the amp to reduce the volume sesativity on the reciever, as I rarely made it past 1 on the dial, which made volume control a little tricky at times. I have the gain set at 75% which puts reference level at the 10-11 o'clock position on the receiver volume control(much easier to manage-WAF). Klipsch speakers are so efficeint.Biggrin.gifBiggrin.gif

Mike

------------------

Sony STR-DA777ES

Parasound 1205A

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-10 surrounds

2 x Velo SPL1200 subs

2 x SVS 20-39CS+ Samson 1000

Behringer DSP1124P

Sony SCD-CE775 SACD

Sony DVP-NC600 DVD