Forte II upgrade path.

jerryd

I have been on the upgrade search for months. Contemplating finidng something that works better than the Forte II. Finally decided that this speakers just does everthing well. Finding a better speaker would likely be more of lateral move. So i have decided to move forward with the upgrade path for them. I already have decided the Titanium tweets are a no brainer. have them here already just not installed. Cant really find any post where anyone thought the original diaphrams work better. Almost all report immediately noticable difference. smoother more real seems to best desribe them. Next on my list is titanium mids. Those that have them say they are also immediatley noticable upgrade. not as much as tweeters but worth doing. just the same. Last would be the crossovers. just not sure how far to go wth them. I removed them last night and they just look new. The speakers are from 96 so the caps are about 15 years old. All the coils and wires still brigt and shiney new looking. With their look and the fact the stock frequencly output of forte speaker is about as good as it gets. +/- 2db from 50-20k hz. +/- 3db from 30-20k hz. doesnt get much better than that really. Seems to me if you redesign the crossover you are likley ending up with more sound getting through that sounds better to you because now maybe you have a +/- 5db scale. ?? perceived as sounding better in a back to back but in reality a step backwards for a nuetral speaker ??

I am leaning on just cap kit from Bob. at 50$

next up from that is ALK kit at 160$

next ALK kit plus Bobs autotransformers. at 240$

then the final "I am gonna go all out with some 2000$ outboard crossovers" cause money grows on trees and I might as well spend it. No just kidding. Not considering this path. just far too much experiemntation at hand. (love you set12)