dd-5.1 question? Help!

Jonathan1982

Hi,

I have the DD-5.1 hooked up to my amp with regular plain RCA cables. NO shielding or nothing. My receiver is a Dolby Digital ready mini system. Should I spend more money and get better cables or are the ones i'm using now okay? I just invested in Monster Component and Optical cables for my XBOX. I'm extremely happy with that decision. All the help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I use the high quality Radio Shack audio cables, which are exactly the same as the video cables, just half the price. They are gold plated and have great insulation and the special neck that keeps the stress off the cables. I am very pleased with them, total cost was like $14 for 3 RCA cables (all in one bundle) at 6-8 feet long.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

i don't think so, just depends on the quality of what you have now. In most cases, I would not upgrade the cables. I mostly did it for the look. Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

...and just to clarify justin's comments about the audio cables being the same as the video cables at Radio Shack. That is somewhat unique to Radio Shack's Gold product line -- both the audio and video cables are actually coaxial in their structure, unlike typical audio cables that have two copper core wires. The nice thing about using their cables is that they are completely interchangeable -- no matter where you use them, they will work for both analog and digital signals.

Doug

------------------

My System

Wait, you have a dolby "ready" receiver but you are using optical from the XBox? Unless you're talking an external DD decoder, shouldn't you be using Digital connection? As for cables, I think you can definitely hear a difference with better connections. Most stores will let you take back the cables if you can't hear a difference as long as you still have the packaging, so it can't hurt to try the better ones. And by the way, I wouldn't look at Radio Shack's Audio and video cables being the same as a good thing, I would think you'd want a little more specialized cables for the freq. they carry.

------------------

My Home Theater

This message has been edited by toddvj on 04-18-2002 at 12:44 AM

he is talking about the DD-51, Klipsch's external Dolby Digital/DTS/ProLogic decoder. It has optical and coaxial digital inputs and three RCA stereo inputs, plus 5.1 Analog output.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support