Bi-Amp Question

dddpsd

Why is there a HUGE improvement in my KLF-20s after bi-amping? I have had these (used) for 6 months and have posted questions and thoughts on the lack of bass and poor imaging. I thought it must be my old Denon DRA-1035R receiver in spite of it's 135w output. So, I picked up a Nakamichi TA-2A reciever with "some" inprovement. After putting the Denon on Craigs List, I was bombarded with buyers. So, I bought some RCA spltters and put the big Denon on the lower speaker terminals and the Nak (55w) on the upper. UNBELIEVEABLE inprovement. So, do my KLF-20s have bad cross-overs in both? Thanks, Dennis

So, do my KLF-20s have bad cross-overs in both?

This applies a bit to passive/active bi-amping like you are using, but also to active bi-amping (i.e., using a digital active crossover) which will actually improve the sound even more, IMHO.

I believe that the answer to your specific question is "not really". Bi-amping is just a better approach, IMHO, for the reasons given in the link. Most folks are just not used to using active bi-amping since the cost of doing it in Hi-Fi have gotten down to economic levels relatively recently (~5-10 years). Also, some people object to having more than one speaker wire pair per speaker.

Folks that hear bi-amping performance improvement usually forget about the downside of those extra wire pairs.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Your KLF-20s do not have bad crossovers,they're actually pretty good .In fact they are one of my all time favorite vintage models of Klipsch Towers.It's highly probable that the crossovers are still in line despite the removal of the couplers. This is usually the case when dealing with high end home audio speakers.

The fact that you have 2 receivers of good quality and are splitting the load of driving the low and high frequency , this allows for more headroom (or reserve) and decreases distortion. Since the woofers are not parasitically taking the lion's share of the power from the horns, and vise versa. This allows each amplifier to interface with its own group of drivers and drive them more effectively, in turn leaving much more headroom (or reserve if you will) in the amplifier, and therefore producing much lower Total Harmonic Distortion (visualize more zeros on the right side of the decimal).This directly impacts the quality of the reproduced sound that you hear, manifesting itself in turn as a more open , dynamic , and therefore more accurate reproduction of the original recording. This can sometimes bring forth a somewhat euphoric and emotional experience ,as though you were hearing your recordings and speakers for the first time.Enjoy your system and don't worry, you are running your system more cleanly than most ,rest easy, and enjoy your system. One last thing, consider upgrading to separate amps , or a good 4 channel (whichever would be more affordable) so as to really see what those KLFs can really do.

In essence Power = Detail = Emotion.