Matching RF 7 II's with an A/V receiver; possibly bi amped or w/ outboard amp

Zach P.

I am looking to completely upgrade from a box set home theater system to two RF 7 II's (fronts), an RC 64 II (center), and two RS 62 II's(surrounds). I am content with the Sony Bravia TV and PS3 I already own, although a 3D TV will be in order when the head aches do not accompany it. I will use the PS3 for music, movies and gaming. The entire system will be split 40/40/20 respectively. I am planning to have a 5.2 system right now.

I have not been successful so far, but am looking for a set up capable of driving the RF7's (RMS 250w break @ 1000w) and RC 64 (RMS 200 break at 600w), both with the ability to be bi amped. Other lesser wants from the receiver would include internet connection, Satellite radio connection or included, two zones, ability to decode all/most audio formats coming from the PS3, and pre outs if the amp is a necessity.

I have looked at multiple possibilities for getting the most out of the RF 7's and RC 64 from either a receiver alone or a receiver and amp. The two options I am looking at are either (1) bi amping the RF 7's and only driving the RC 64 with a receiver; denons, pioneers, and yamaha with RMS > 100w or (2) a receiver with an amp. The second option has not been thoroughly explored and I do not have much experience with amps. I raise the question for the amp as I have read multiple times that being able to push the RF7's up to 500w is an exhilarating experience; not needed, but definitely intriguing.

The planned budget for the receiver or receiver/amp is in the $1000 to $2000 range with an intent of not needing to upgrade for a few years.

I am searching for any and all input. If I have not planned accordingly to incorporate the speakers, or made an obvious oversight please let me know. Thanks ahead of time

forget the receiver, as efficient as those speakers are let them shine, check out emotiva, grab a umc processor and xpa2+3 or xpa5 or even upa7 for 600 on closeout, you wont even hit your 2k limit ;) there are many other great companies as well but you will double your cost for likely no gain, a umc and upa7 will ko most if not all receivers, umc and xpa5 will ko and kick the receiver when its down

I think to get all those features and be able to drive your RF-7II/RC-64II combo, a pre/pro and a 3 or 5 channel amp is the way to go.

Here are some options.

(1) On the high end of your budget

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1301940660&/Integra-DTC-9.8-Preamplifier

with

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1304464905&/B-K-Components-7270-mkII-7-cha

(2) On the low end but still a great combo

The Integra pre/pro plus this

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1301825488&/Nad-5-Channel-Amp-925-THX-5-x-

I owned a NAD 925THX and was blown away by it's musicality and power even though it is "only" rated at 125w/ch all channels but 200w/ch in stereo. It is capable of dynamic peaks of 160 watts with all 5 channels driven. I sold it to Jeff Tubbs(Jtubbs) on the forum and he is using it to drive his RF-7's. Super bang for the buck amp.

I suggest you go with something like option (2) and try it out and if the NAD doesn't shake your tree, sell it and step up a bit. Just for the record, I have a NAD T773 receiver that is rated at 110w/channel(all channels driven) that is very capable of driving my RF-63/RC-64/RS-35 combo alone without my B&K amps.

Bill