Dialogue in films list

JBL4645

shake777 you asked about dialogue panning.

I guess the text is jumbled up into a huge cluster! sigh is there button that puts the text into correct order? Its like reading the telephone directory when drunk. [:D]

I have only around just over 1 thousand films on laserdisc DVD and bluray thats nothing compared with all the film titles internationally from around the world which is well over the 8 or 9million by now. Id have to keep going back and forth to the bed to write down all the titles that mostly have dialogue panning just from looking at the title the sound is stored in my memory but I dont want to overload my mind tonight. LOL

It really started I guess with Fantasia (1940) but I dont have that on DVD I think the newer version for bluray 7.1 is wrong if the original mix and other mixes arent accompanied with it as it went though didnt release prints for cinemas over years with different re-mixes.

The 1950s saw magnetic sound on 35mm with up to 4channles of true discrete sound. Later on 70mm pushed sound further with up 6 magnetic tracks of high-fidelity audio this employed 5 sets of matching loudspeakers placed around large deep curved screens to span the sound out along with an actors voice sound in the same location as they where on screen.

It wasnt prefect it had solo voice placed on all five and slight volume adjustments in level to create these unique mixes of the time. It lasted till about mid 70s where most films called the Road Show 70mm rarely came about, most of what audiences heard was 35mm mono or stereo optical.

I think Dolby made great improvements over what Todd-AO started with its one of the recognizable names in show business back in its hay days.

Today its very, very rare one would hear dialogue panning in new Dolby film mix? Not many directors care to use it I guess not many mixers have the bulls to push for it. It does make the film a bit more entertaining and seem believable.

South Pacific

The Sound of Music

2001: A space odyssey (first edition region1 DVD only) or laserdiscs! Later versions of DVD and bluray which is the same as the DVD have been poorly re-mixed with no care to preserving the original theatrical mix. Most of the dialogue panning has been condensed down and sent to centre front. Only a few original hard to half dialogue pans exits on the later DVD/bluray its not worth buying.

The Towering Inferno

Lawrence of Arabia

Indiana Jones and Temple of Doom

Indiana Jones and Last Crusade

West Side Story

Terminator 2

Backdraft

Hook

Dances with Wolves

Titanic

SALT

Top Gun

Alien

Aliens

Alien 3

Toy Story

Toy Story 2

(Im not sure about Toy Story3 I havent listened to it yet)

We Were Soldiers

Mission To Mars

The list will take me days months but to put together new films coming out each week as well, even thou I dont go to the cinema no more. I havent been in well over year and half maybe 2 years now.

I can always come back and re-edit the list