getting tunes from computer to amp

Hi guys, After going through the whole H/T experience and now I'm also back into 2- channel gear. My latest project is getting tunes from computer

to my Yamaha RX-V665. Iran 2 50ft rca cables from my office/bdr to my living rm where the audio gear is. I installed a y jack w/ a male 3.5headphone jack into my computer and the 2f female ends to the cables. My problem is I get music but with it comes an annoying hum.Itried talking to Yamaha and they said I put the rca jacks in audio1 which was the right thing to do. I ran the cabels myself and used no hard fasteners just some ty -raps.So is length the culprit or maybe they splitter is the weak link. I ordered a couple more jacks of different styles.I'm wondering what else can I do to rectify this and has anyone else had aproblem like this.Thanks ...LW

H/T----Yamaha RX-V665 >Toshiba au37>Klipsch 500h/t set>Yamaha YSD-11dock>Denon 1940cdi-cdp

2---channel>Adcom gfa555>Onkyo P301 pre>InfintySM112s speakers>Denon 1940ci-cdp>Shure pro 240 headphones>Samson power conditioner

Hi guys, After going through the whole H/T experience and now I'm also back into 2- channel gear. My latest project is getting tunes from computer

to my Yamaha RX-V665. Iran 2 50ft rca cables from my office/bdr to my living rm where the audio gear is. I installed a y jack w/ a male 3.5headphone jack into my computer and the 2f female ends to the cables. My problem is I get music but with it comes an annoying hum.Itried talking to Yamaha and they said I put the rca jacks in audio1 which was the right thing to do. I ran the cabels myself and used no hard fasteners just some ty -raps.So is length the culprit or maybe they splitter is the weak link. I ordered a couple more jacks of different styles.I'm wondering what else can I do to rectify this and has anyone else had aproblem like this.Thanks ...LW

H/T----Yamaha RX-V665 >Toshiba au37>Klipsch 500h/t set>Yamaha YSD-11dock>Denon 1940cdi-cdp

2---channel>Adcom gfa555>Onkyo P301 pre>InfintySM112s speakers>Denon 1940ci-cdp>Shure pro 240 headphones>Samson power conditioner

Leftwinger,

Here are my thoughts......

Are your PC and receiver plugged into the same circuit? (Ground loop causing hum). If so; switching one to a different circuit could resolve your issue.

Are you running the RCA cables near the speaker wires? (If so, is there any wat to route them away from this?)

I suspect your splitter may be related also. (As you said; weak link).

They are likely picking up some kind of interference through the sheilding.

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps using a digital toslink cable instead.

Does your sound card have a toslink out? Your receiver should have a toslink in (I believe).

I do not know if there is a toslink cable that long; but it would be a possible permanent fix.

This worked for me; I was doing the same thing with the splitter, and was getting a hum. Digital coax also worked, but I switched to toslink because I had the connection and the cable......

This would possibly eliminate the "hum".

I had the same problem when I hooked up a USB DAC from computer to hifi system. I was recommended this site, www.electronics-shop.dk, the sold me a USB galvanic ground loop eliminator and it worked. Cost about $49.00 + shipping. Don't know if this will help. They might have another device etc.

definitly sounds like a ground loop hum to me. 50 ft of cord is a long way especially if it isnt shielded. I use an optical cord between my comp and my umc-1 and not issues because its optical. Chances are your comp and speaker setup are on 2 different circuits and you are creating a voltage differential causing a ground loop.

I dont know if your yamaha is optical inputs but your alternative, if it doesnt, this is a more expensive way to go but itll work and help to eliminate that hum. Get a DAC (digital to analog converter) where you run an optical cord from your comp to the dac above your receiver and from the DAC to the receiver you connect with a good pair of short shielded RCA cables.