RF-63 compared to RF-82 II?

steinba

I'm looking at RF-82 II's as a candidate for my new speakers, since they're currently sold for a pretty good price.

I've been told that I really should have a look at RF-63's instead, but I'm hesitant, as they cost almost twice as much, and on paper, it looks like they should perform almost equal to the RF-82 II's. I'll have to go out and listen to them both, of course, but I like to do some "research" first.

The bass driver area of three 6.5" cones is almost identical to two 8" cones, and I guess the 8" ones have a longer stroke. (?). The (older model) RF-63 has a larger diameter compression driver for the treble horn, but I've heard many people describe the top end on the newer drivers as better, so I don't know.

There are also differences in crossover frequencies and other small details, but it still looks like the RF-63 and RF-82 II should perform pretty similar, as I assume they're designed in a similar way.

If anybody has any thoughts or tips about this, It'd be greatly appreciated. Is the RF-63 really a (that much) better/different speaker.

Thanks!

Steinba,

Welcome to the forum.

I have listened to the RF-82(not 82II) and do think the RF-63 is a much more refined speaker. Smooth tight bass, with a midrange to die for, especially for a 2-way tower speaker. I do much prefer the real natural cherry wood veneer of the RF-63 over the vinyl veneer of the RF-82, 82II.

Here is a thread describing mine and another members opinion of the RF-63.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/146741.aspx

Bill

Thanks.

I guess I could have searched the forum better, because I've found a couple of threads now saying the same thing; Thatthe RF63 is a more refined and more classy loudspeaker than the RF-82 II.

I'll get around to listening to them, then.

Thanks again!

I think you need to go listen to some RF-82 II's. I will have my demo pair in a week or so, and can tell you what I think vs.the RF-83's. The RF-82's are not the same beast as the regular 82's. With some trickle down Palladium technology, and dropping the crossover of the horn by an octave, they should have some noticeable improvements that may put them in the ballpark of the 63's. I heard them briefly, but I will have a better perspective once I get my pair in and get them broken in. Also getting a pair of RF-7 II's so I can give my opinion of how they stack as well. I will then have 82's, 83's, 82 II's, and 7 II's.