RB-51 wall mount or other?

criscfer

My constraints require a wall mounted right
and left channel, without cutting into the drywall.

For ease and cost the RB-51 is my first
choice, but I am concerned about the rear porting and how optimum that will
sound.

Another consideration is to use the R-3800-W by
building an enclosure for it, and then hanging the box. Clearly more effort,
and then it has to be painted to match.

My other components are the RC-52 II center
and the RS-42 II in the rear. Used for watching TV.

Any recommendations for or against using the
bookshelf speaker would be appreciated.

Cris

With the ports on the RB-51, you don't want them too close to the wall, I didn't have much choice when using them for my rears. I went to the hardware store and made a shelf to put them on. I used 3/4" mdf and two 5" "L" brackets secured by carriage bolts. I made the shelf big enough that I can toe them in. Depending on your budget, you may want to consider RB-61/81 for the front ports.

photo-16.jpg

Chad

You could go with the RB-61 II's. With front ports they get along better withwall mount than the 51's. I would not recommend boxing the inwalls. They really do sound best with an air space of 14"x1.5"x8ft (ie a space between wall joists). That is what they are designed for, and having heard them crammed into all sorts of different spaces, I can say the inwalls do best when they are closest to "ideal" air space behind them.

Thanks for the input's. Good advice on the inwall's.

The RB-61 II's do not have any mounting points or they would be a better choice. Shelfing them, along with their 12 inch depth may start to include a "wife noise" factor.

I know the RS-42 II's would not project like a true side channel, but I love their ergonomics in my room. One front and rear is positioned above a dooorway. (I'll attempt attaching photos later) I am tempted to try the 42's in all four corners. ? How bad could that be?

The way that I mounted them in the rear seems very solid. I did not trust the metal stud construction for the single keyhole anchor, so additionally I used two 6" bolts through the wall with a strap across the stud and pulled the speaker snugly to the wall.