Denon3801/digital audio from a digital cable converter

CheeseHead

Firstly, thanks to everyone who helped me figure out my 5-channel stereo/DD/DTS issue. Now I have a new problem as of today. I had digital cable installed, and on the back of the converter there is an S-Video jack which I have going up to my receiver. It also has a digital audio coax cable connector. I'm hoping it transmits a true DD signal! Anyway, I bought the cable to connect the Audio out on the cable box to the one and only coax jack on my Denon 3801. I went into the On-Screen menu of the Denon and set the TV/DBS to Coaxial...and I'm still not getting any sound! Anybody have any ideas?

Denon 3801

Klipsch Reference RF3, RC3, RS3, KSW12

Toshiba DVD2200

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Cable Box

hey cheese, this should be simpler:

-run the coax from the "digital audio out" or whatever it's called (not the audio out)

-still have your input selector set to auto?

-turn off all your other digital components (like the dvdp)

-put the box on a digital tier channel (like Encore or somethin)

Boa

Ah ha! I always had it in 'auto' mode, but for the heck of it I pressed it again, and I got sound! Only bad part is, everything is defaulting to Pro Logic mode. I'm not sure if they movies I'm flipping thru on HBO are 5.1 or not, doubt it, they're all older. To test it, I played my Matrix DVD and the receiver automatically went into DD mode, but when I toggle back to the TV/DBS I get Pro Logic. Anyone know if digital cable companies broadcast in 5.1? I remember when I was pricing satellite dishes the guy told me that if I wanted a 5.1 capable dish I'd have to shell out $600.

To add insult to injury, once I get below channel 100, I don't get sound. What a mess. Does that mean that I should hook up L and R audio jacks to the cable box, run them to the 3801, and then I'll have to mess with the receiver settings anytime I want to view anything below 100? Granted this is only when I *WANT* to run things through the receiver, 90% of the time I'll be listening to the TV thru the TV speakers. Only time I'd use the receiver is if/when I can get a movie in DD, or there's a Packer game smile.gif

i also run the box 2 audio outs to the tv then to the receiver tv/dbs analog jacks. that way i can control the volume to all speaks w/ just the tv remote.

u may be able to get 5.1 on some of the premium movie channels or ppv. but the digital signal/connection should still light up the dolby indicator on the denon whereas the analog channels don't - even w/ prologic

the digital sound is cleaner, better.

& sat/dbs folk have the same problem not getting 5.1. it's the broadcasters(channels)

that aren't putting it out in 5.1. get out your pitchfork & start protesting to them & go vikings biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure you have to have a decoder to produce the 5.1 DD with satellite systems. I don't know if cable companies offer it or not, but you'd need some sort of add on decoder like that I would imagine. Otherwise your in stereo. Either way it's a digital signal and I personally would run it through my HT speakers over my TV's...

stone, the cable digital boxes are ready to go for 5.1. the decoders are in most of your ht receivers. i did get DD 5.1 once on the starz channel - but only had that for a 3-day

free preview frown.gif

we need more of the broadcasters/channels to comply w/ DD or DTS 5.1. hopefully they will soon.

FWIW

I just bought a new 18"x24" HD ready dish, (also capable of receiving local stations) with 4 outputs, 3 regular sat boxes and one DD 5.1 sat box and a $50.00 gift certificate from CircuitCity for less then $500 installed in 1 of the 4 rooms. $50.00 per additional room and I think I can do that after they set up the dish and do the first room. Now I just have to get the OK from my Landlord to mount it on their house.

nice thread but do not get too crazy

My 17 year old daughter really enjoyed the "Fiddler on the Roof" in 2 channel input Dolby Surround listened to on the TCM channel last weekend. It is not wholely inferior sound.

PLUS...the Dish Netwok stereo sound 20+ genre options are not unapreciated.

It is not SACD but you can find new good music to audition better then the local FM station of choice.

yea I use those digital cable music channels all the time. sounds much better than FM radio & no commercials!

even when I was getting the starz channel, only 1 movie ever came in DD 5.1 - Civil Action. the rest of the movies I saw/heard used only dolby surround (2.0). so i guess even if the stations have the dolby digital equipment, they don't always show movies mixed in DD 5.1.

i know, here goes another cable/sat thread, but these boxes will probably soon replace dvd as the hot new a/v source.

but anybody know what basic sound equipment these broadcasters use? dat?

Hey RWMIN...you know the model # of your dish and decoder box? The one I was looking at is (so I thought) the only one out there with HDTV...The RCA DTC100... that also handles a 5.1 surround signal. I could be wrong, and probably am. FYI, this upcoming weekend is another Starz freebie.