Why RB-61 II and not RB-51 II?

mak33

As this is my first post on the forums, I'd like to say "Hello" to everyone in this community (which seems to be knowledgable and helpful), to tell a little bit about myself, and also to ask my first question (as stated in the subject).

An audiophile co-worker got me into hi-fi audio roughly 9 months ago. I have owned a pair of Sennheiser HD-600 headphones and a Bottlhead Crack amplifier for 6 months - Great synergy and purchase, but I'm looking at building a home theater and starting small.

My friend picked up some Klipsch RVX-54s 655f3141426873445a69473274546e57655a77-1a couple of years ago from a store that was going out of business.

Today an Onkyo TX-SR608 arrived at the door - My first step into HT. What I don't have to pair with the Onkyo is speakers. Since I heard those RVX-54s, I'm totally sold on Klipsch products. I've narrowed down my next purchase to be some bookshelf speakers.

RB-41 IIs seem a little small and RB-81 IIs I don't need. I'm looking for a pair of RB-51 IIs or RB-61 IIs, and that's where I need some advice from the experts who've played around with Klipsch quite a bit.

I've heard a couple times of RB-61 IIs sounding a leap better than the RB-51 IIs, I'm assuming due to the size and lower frequency range. But is there really that much of a difference? Don't get me wrong, I've got the money to spend on the RB-61 IIs, but I'd really like to save some if possible and get the RB-51 IIs.

This particular set up will be in a room size no larger than 16' x 16'. In the future it may be larger, yes, but not at the moment.

Would anyone be able to tell me a little more about the differences in the RB-51 IIs and RB-61 IIs beyond what the specification sheet communicates?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: In addition, I don't have a hi-fi audio store near me that sells Klipsch products, so auditioning is out of the question.

Mak33,

Welcome to the forum.

I would choose the 61's over the 51's for (3) reasons: Bass response, overall presence, front ported. Larger driver and larger cabinet will give more low end impact. Front porting will give you more placement flexibility. Oh, I forgot (4) reasons. You will not ask yourself, "what if I had gotten............?" Regret and upgradeitis will rear it's ugly head before you know it.

Where are you located? Would you consider the used market? Much more bang for the buck when buying used.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I'm near Minneapolis, but actually in western Wisconsin. Minneapolis is kinda grim when it comes to Klipsch dealers, specifically the Reference Series... at least according to Klipsch's dealer webpage. I've also searched Craigslist and eBay for some used RB-61 IIs, and no one seems to be giving them up! A surprise?

But ultimately, the answer is Yes: I would certainly purchase a used set of RB-61 IIs. The next part is finding them I guess. I've heard AudioGon, eBay, and Craigslist are decent to check. Any others besides the Klipsch Garage Sale forum? Audio specific?

If you have ruled out the RB-81 II's because of price, enough said, understand, moving on. If not, don't let the specs fool you, the 81's do have a very noticeable improvement in sound over the 61's, in my opinion more so than in the first series 61's and 81's.

If 81's just can't happen, absolutely go with the 61's over the 51's. I typically only sell 41's because of size/cost, or then 61's and 81's. As was previously posted, the 61's have much nicer mid-bass, and the front porting does give you some better placement options.