Passive bi-amping of Chorus IIs

vnzbd

Well I have been in search of improving the sound of my Chorus IIs for some time now. When I orignally purchased them I ran them with a Marantz 8500 avr. The mids and highs were so much better than what I was used to with my KLFs, but the bass was lacking a real punch. After taking some advise from this forum I upgraded the power to the Emotiva XPA-5 while now using the Marantz as a pre-amp. A big improvement. Several months ago I refreshed the x-overs and tweetes with Bob Cs products. Anoher noticable improvement but still with the bass lacking. Further advice from the forum had me turn the treble down(-2db) and I up the bass(+2db) and it made a hugh difference in the precieved bass output. This weekends project was to make the CIIs bi-ampable feeding the lows and mid-highs with seperate channels out of the XPA-5. I also purchased 3 and 6 db attenuators from Parts Express and put the 3dbs in line to the input of the amp on the mid/high channels. I was hoping for a big change because the attenuation/boost would not be taking place at the freq of the tone controls of the Marantz and then bleeding off db wise at the surrounding octaves.

All I can say is WOW. Not only has the bass appeared to come alive like never before but also the mid/highs are much more open. The CIIs now seem more balanced form top to bottom. I sampled some of my regular cds and it was like hearing brand new music. Simply stunning.

This was a very easy and inexpensive tweak and would recomend it to anyone that was in the boat that I was in. The attenuators, RCA splitters and new terminal cups were well under $50. Money well spent!

• 1 year later...

Hi there I'm new to this so forgive the dumb down version of this blog...... So basically you took out the original cross over with 2 connectors and replaced it with a bi amp connector that has four connectors correct? If so where do I get this and how hard is it to install myself with little or no experience with type of stuff at all. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

It was about that simple. I did not have a "bi-amp" connector either. From a local shop I purchaed addition connector plates, round. I used a hole saw and located them adjasent to the original plates. A little disection of the xover to seperate the high/mids from the lows and you are all set.

What I will say here is that I would not expect to hear much if any difference by bi-amping them. What I did do was attenuate the h/m 3db which gave the effect of more bass output. While you can acheive similar results just using the tone controls you are limited to the adjustments being centered around the processors freq. The freqs may be around 100 hz and 10k hz, not suitable for what I was try to accomplish. The project should run 25-40$ max.