digital out or 5.1 anolog for 2 channel music?

vnzbd

So someone does buy the Oppo 95 that is said to have amazing DACs for all channels including for 2 channel anolog and also another set of 7.1 anolog out for the advanced audio formats. Of course it also has HDMI out. The new happy owner of this unit is installing this into their home theater system and they have a lower/mid quality avr that has HDMI in but also has lower/mid quality DACs vs the Oppo's 7.1 out.

What is the general concensious on the best way to install the unit at that point?

Thanks again!

If it is a lower/mid-level receiver, then the analog section and amps might not be any better so using the DAC in the 95 still may not be wonderful. I you end up in that situation the only way to be sure is to try it both ways and choose your poison.

Same reason I used to use both the digital and analog out of my Denon 3910. Both the AVM-30 and the Denon had very good analog sections. There presentation was somewhat different though. I'd just press the button if I though I was missing something one way or the other.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know if anyone else has noticed this but one thing that disappoints me on the Oppo 93, it does not have separate stereo outputs. The Oppo 83 and 95 both have the HDMI, 7.1 and digital outs and an additional 2 channel stereo output. It is just hard to believe that the Oppo 93 does not.

The reason this is bothersome is if you use it as a CD player and prefer its decoding. It would be nice to hit CD on the Pre/pro and it use the 2 channel connection and then hit dvd and get either HDMI or Component/7.1. Just a random thought.

Just so I'm getting this right. I am doing (bit perfect) for cd audio> out of my HP desktop that has all the players I need( blu-ray etc.) Now I have two choices Analog out to my amp, or Digital Coaxial to a Dac (shopping for) then RCA to my amp. As it stands using Analog out I'm relying on HP's onboard DAC to be bit perfect , and when I figure out how to test that I will. It looks like I will have to go digital out and stream thru a good DAC. What I have now sounds Incredible as it is., but I know there's more to be had. I hope I get this all figured out soon .