Klipschorns crossover frequencies

Tom is correct: the Khorn bass bin doesn't perform very well at 800 Hz...

Also note that there are some psychoacoustic advantages to crossing at 400 Hz instead of 800 Hz. [8-|]

Chris

since the original question was about the earlier operating frequencies of the klipschorn, I'm wondering/recalling that there were different versions of the khorn from 1942 thru 1945. The present version is the X-5. There was an X-1, X-3, which patents were not granted. It could be that the references to an 800hz cut off, is about one of the early, pre X-5 models. My comments may be a mis representation of the actual details, so feel free to jump in and clarify.

...It could be that the references to an 800hz cut off...

I wonder if the confusion is with the Cornwall? [^o)] It has an 800 Hz specified crossover frequency from the bass bin to the midrange.

Chris

...It could be that the references to an 800hz cut off...

I wonder if the confusion is with the Cornwall? Hmm It has an 800 Hz specified crossover frequency from the bass bin to the midrange.

Chris

I have read that the actual first production runs of Klipschorn speakers were built for “Klipsch and Associates” by the Baldwin Piano & Organ Company during 1947 and may have used something like the K-500 / 5000 network, which would lead me to believe that 500 Hz was the crossover point for the original production runs.

Also, since I understand that the original 6" slot for the woofer horn throat was changed to the current 3" throat to boost the output in the 400 - 500 Hz range of the horn, an 800 Hz crossover point would seem unrealistic, given the multitude of challenges in those early days.

Maybe this mysterious 800 Hz crossover point was part of the mythical second design (“X-2”) that was believed to be destroyed by termites before meaningful measurements could be made?[^o)] Although I have not had this information verified by any independent sources[;)], here is a Klipschorn Timeline http://www.klipschcorner.com/heritage/KlipschornTimeline.

Baldwin only supplied the bass bin units no woofers were installed,,,,,It was up to Paul Klipsch to supply a HF unit (two way) K500/K5000 did not exhist... Why would Paul allow termites to destroy a bass bin before some measurments? His technical papers to Ashworth state differently... The technical letters to Ashworth i believe to be more accurate..

Baldwin only supplied the bass bin units no woofers were installed,,,,,It was up to Paul Klipsch to supply a HF unit (two way) K500/K5000 did not exhist... Why would Paul allow termites to destroy a bass bin before some measurments? His technical papers to Ashworth state differently... The technical letters to Ashworth i believe to be more accurate..

Thanks for the clarifications, but we still don’t know if there ever was an 800 Hz crossover in the early Klipschorn’s and we don't know what ever did happen to the mythical X-2? Can you help us out?[H] Otherwise, we just have the current internet information that keeps perpetuating itself.[8-|]

In the early Khorn,,,Pauls measurments showed not much above 530hz.....I would stick with with his measurments over the internet WAGS,,,..Paul would measure everything including the complience of a horsewhip if it would help the horse to move faster,,,,Ashworth would counter Pauls measurements,,egging him on...